Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

is there anyspecial place to get mild steelelbows? or would they sell the where the sell black pipe?

Those fittings are forged steel, it seems a major supplier would have access, we use them at work, but I don't know where we get them, Try King Archetectual Metals, Dallas, Baltimore, LA...they ship
    More Spark Today Please

More Spark Today Please

thanks for the help guys, I gave it a try and it seemed to weld fine, now I'm going to get some end caps and pressure test it tommorow. How can you tell if it's cast iron or forged steel?

Hit Em,

Sounds as if what you're doing is what we refer to as a keel cooling system. If you're planning to operate this vessel in salt water, you may as well forget about using the pipe you're talking about. It won't last a season in salt water.

A much better option (one we've used for years) is to use copper pipe and solder the 90 angles in. The size of the engine will determine the length and number of runs.

The copper will last longer in salt water and is also a better conductor of the heat you're trying to displace.

If you gave me some more info concerning HP, gas or diesel, and where you'll be operating, I'll give you a wag at how many linear feet of tubing will be required.

the boat is only used in freshwater, but the engines are chevy 350's older ones, as for hp I have no idea, I had thought about using copper but they will be along the bottom of the boat and the guy had said that he runs it in shallow water and runs into objects the odd time so that made me change my mind with the copper. theres half of the old set still there I was going to use the parts that were there to give me an idea of how long and how many, but if you could give me a number that would be greatly appriciated.
    Thanks
    Jay

Cool

Don't weld the hardware store version fittings as they are junk steel. You want socket weld fittings from a place like http://www.mcmaster.com/ and they can be welded to your black pipe...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

how would I be able to tell the difference between the good and the junk?

Quote Originally Posted by hit_em View Post
    thanks for the help guys, I gave it a try and it seemed to weld fine, now I'm going to get some end caps and pressure test it tommorow. How can you tell if it's cast iron or forged steel?
    when you grind cast iron it gives off red sparks vs bright yellowish sparks that carbon steel gives off, or try to cut it with a torch, you can only cut carbon steel with a torch

Cool

The forged ones will be smooth, the cast hardware ones look like junk to start with and will bubble up when hit with the mig...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48