Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Off Topic but mainly true.

I don't know the author, but it's pretty good........JTMcC.

Subject: 1973 vs 2006

Scenario: Jack goes duck hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.

1973 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.
    2006- School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

+++++++++++ ++++++++++ ++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1973 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.
    2006- Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

++++++++++++ +++++++++ +++++++++++

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1973- Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits
    still in class.
    2006- Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

++++++++++++ +++++++++ +++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1973- Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
    2006- Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she
    remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has affair with psychologist.

++++++++++++ +++++++++ ++++++++

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1973- Mark shares aspirin with Principal out on the smoking dock.
    2006- Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car
    searched for drugs and weapons.

++++++++++++ +++++++++ +++++

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1973: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
    2006 : Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear
    nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

++++++++++++ +++++++++

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July,
    puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1973- Ants die.
    2006 - ATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

++++++++++++ +++++++++

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary, hugs him to comfort him.

1973- In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
    2006- Mary is accused of being a ***ual predator and loses her job. She
    faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Think bout it.........

Sad how far we haven't come..While I was laughing, it really isn't funny at all.
    But you are right, it is mostly true.
    Jeff

I was talking just a couple of days ago with a teacher. He was telling me how bad the kids are now and how you can't do stuff to them. I told him that when I was in school I carried a pocket knife and the teachers would ask to borrow it from time to time to cut stuff. He just shook his head in disbelief. What the he!! has gone wrong guys? I'm serious. What happened? BTW, I got out of high school in 1969. This is a different world we live in.
    Jim

When I was in school, a knife was a tool like a pliers and lots of guys had pocket knives and a couple had knives in sheaths. You could sit in class and trim your fingernails with a knife during a lecture, and like Jim said maybe the teacher would borrow a knife from a student to cut something. I got out in 1979..
    I have a kindergardener, and I can't imagine what it will be like when he gets ti high school.
    Jeff

Cool

Yup thats how it was. I was in HS from 1973-1977. My kids watch the move Dazed and Confused all the time and one day they asked if it was really that bad (the pot and beer) i said it was worse, and i was there, i think ....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

it's changed immensely just from when I was in HS from '89-'92... if I did what I did in chemistry class (when bored) back then (mix ammonium nitrate, floured sulpher and charcoal.. add bunsen burner).. I'd probably sitting in the pen right now.
    Bobcat 225NT
    Cutmaster 52
    Lincoln Weld-Pak 100 buzz box
    Caterpillar TH63
    '07 Kawasaki ZZR600

My moms a teacher she teaches 5th grade and she tells me some stories it's truely crazy how screwd up these kids are and it is because the parents are so messed up. I'm 27 and am truly amazed how freaking crazy these kids are and I'm not really old just wait another 10 years. I know there are alot of young girls who want to be teachers and they truely have no clue what there getting into. My mom taught a girl back in the day she is like 22 now and is wanting to be a teacher and my mom just didn't have the courage to tell her she was making a big mistake. The kids these days are pretty messed up. I think it is alot of the crazy things they see on TV all these dam rappers they want to be just like them. I don't know what all needs to be done but it needs to be done soon.

Chris

Ha ha, I've done everything on that list growing up in the '70s (except for failing English...well, maybe once ), no harm done! It's sad today. I remember getting my first pocket knife from my dad when I was 6. I couldn't share that experience with my son for fear that he might accidentally leave it in a pants pocket and go to school - BIG trouble! Just one example, but for sure a lot has changed! In general I think kids had a different attitude back then, more respect, mainly. You can't take any chances now. Just last month a 16 year old girl was shot at the local high school 4 times in the chest with a 44, by her ex boyfriend! He shot and killed himself afterwards and she is going to recover, scary!

When I was a little kid, I could walk down to the local Guard? depot with my .22 rifle on my shoulder. They had an indoor range. This was about 1960. I think I always had a pocket knife in my school years. I think most everyone did. No one thought of them as weapons.
    Now, I carry two, the pocket clip/folder type. One is 2 5/8", and one is 3 1/4" blade. And yes, they have a secondary use as defensive weapons. Plus a pocket tool thingie, and a Swiss knife on my key chain. Quite often, I have a multi-tool on my belt. I used to fly with all this stuff, plus a Surefire flashlite, until 9/11 of course! Box cutters, sheesh. I could have armed 5 others and myself, if I took the hinge apart on the multi-tool (big blade in each handle). Oh, well. Wonder if any of the passengers on flight 93 had knives of some sort?

Will

i agree a pocket knife was never considerd any thing but a tool. i have one of the plyers/knife/screwdriver/can opener/ whatever on my belt and dont even think about it being a knife, its a tool. last trip tothe Social security office the guard there made me take it out to the car because i forgot it was there and wore it in not thinking about it. but its a weapon and not alowed.

every one wants to blame some one else for there stupidity, just look at some of the law suits that go threw. we are about to spend nearly a milion dollers of our little towns budget to straiten out a road because some kid was speeding and killed him self. wile at the town hall meating many expressed they too had done a few speed runs on that road and we are so sorry your sone died, lets fix that dangerous road. no one said maybe you should have tought your sone not to drive like the fools in the fast & the fereous movie right. its always some one elses fault.
    look at TV now compaired to then. you used to get an R rating for violance and boobies, now you can show some one cutting off anothers head in graphic detail on prime time TV, but lets not let a boobie be seen heck you dont even see a boobie in the r any more. its no wonder kids are more interested in killing each other than dating. PG13, TV, radio, its sell some rock, kill en all, and you be da man. WYF????
    mean time you cant even yell at your child much less give them a swot on the but in public for being out of controle or off to jail you go.
    used to be people looked at you funny if you didnt pop you kid for being out of controle, now they look at you like you are a criminal if you yell at him for kicking the little old lady that was in his way.
    and yet some how we are suposed to hope these kids turn out to be able to run the contry some day. we have turned them into out of controle disrespectfull or overly sensitive little turds??

on my sons last field trip my wife went along and a 7 year old chile required 5 teacher to restrin him as he threw a fit not wanting to leave after 30 minuits of every one sitting on the hot buss bored out of there minds (more 7 year olds) the museum was about to call the police so the teachers emptied an intire buss just to put this 1 kid on it with 5 teachers to keep him under controle if you want to call it that. mean time they had to overload the other busses with children and adults having to stand and sit in the iles for the 45 minuit trip back to school.all because 1 child was out of controle???? had they spent another 5 minuits messing with this kid none of the other children would have gotten back to school in time to catch the bus home so they would have had to hold up the hole school to wait on these kids so they could catch the bus ride home.
    again i say WTF???
    this is a true story when my wife was telling me about it at first i was about to laugh about the teachers not being able to restrain one kid but by the time the story was over i wanted to go smack his parents.and did i mention this is the same kid that caused problems on the last trip, so how bad will he be next time?? why was he even alowed to go this time?? because the parents said its only fair my sone should get to go, you cant exclude him just because he is addhd right, well so is my sone, so was i. addhd or not i behaved because the option was a belt or smack upside the head or a just plain a$$ whipen. granit my fauther was well outside the relm of exceptable behaveour. but our sone is respectfull and behaves for the most part he just gets a lil antsy and figity in his seat and needs to be told to pay atention once in a wile. but he dosent run around the class throwing stuff. why dose my sone not act like an out of controle little freak?? simple we taught him its not exceptible, mean time this other childs mom just tells the school " well he wont listen to me cant you get him to behave for me" yep thats right once again its some one elses fault her child wont behave and the school should take time away from the rest of the kids to try to control her child because she wont, and what is the school alowed to do about it?? nothing, so what gets done?? nothing, so he just gets werse every year. unforchenetly we are all to fermilear with this child as he is in my sons grade. he is in a specil edd class most of the day but gets brought into the normal class so he can interact with the other kids for a few hrs every day. can any one guess how he "interacts" with the class.
    ok rant over sorry.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES