Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LEL meter

Default LEL meter

Are all LEL meters good for checking diesel/fuel oil/hydraulic tanks? Is there a certain one to look for?
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

we have been demo-ing some 12,000 + gallon tanks that had gas,diesel,oil and whatever a oil company stores in them.We have been using a lel meter to check for explosive conditions before we cut,we have had no problems but I still dont trust them 100%.I have held the meter close to a gas tank and it goes off right away,but I held it over a full diesel tank and it didnt do any thing much.A few years ago I had to repair one of these tanks from the inside and wore a lel meter on me and it didnt do much. I wonder how much diesel vapors need to be present to be explosive?

I carry one on me too, you got to have one to stay alive, never believe the compnay grunts that says tank is clean. I never bother with chekcing hydralic oil tanks, and I haven't had had one pop on me yet. I check mine each time before using on gas tank just for personal resurrance

Cool

We use Eagle meters in the refinery. http://www.mcmaster.com has some handheld meters...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

My question is are all LEL meters good for fuel tanks or are some LEL meters only good for certain other gases? I see them for sale from $80 on up. The info for all of them says it tests for explosive gases, does this mean all explosive gases? I just want to make sure before I get one & think I'm safe but then find out it's not the right one.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

If I were you, I would call the mfg and see what they have to say, as well as get the spec sheet. Like you said, making an assumption about a particular meter could be harmfull to youre health.

Please post the meter you purchase, I would be interested in looking at it.
    Tom

We use industrial scientific were I work. They have meters for all types of gases.

http://www.indsci.com/
    Matt
    MM175, Lincoln Ideal arc 250, Miller Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Goulet! View Post
    We use industrial scientific were I work. They have meters for all types of gases.

http://www.indsci.com/

Wow, I checked out their meters. They sure are nice!
    But man are they expensive. The 4 gas meter is over $2000.00 from Airgas . I guess when your life is on the line money is no object right?
    Millermatic 180 DC,Miller Spoolmatic 3,Miller HF-251-D1 __ Lincoln Cobramatic/Cobramatic Gold
    Millermatic 200 with pulse/spot/burnback panel DC ______Lincoln Idealarc Tig 300/300 AC/DC
    Miller ECONO twin HF 150 AC/DC .____________________ Lincoln Idealarc R3R 300 DC
    Miller Trailblazer 250G AC/DC (20hp. Onan) .____________ Lincoln Buzz box 225/125 AC/DC
    O/A Harris, Purox, Victor, Torchweld (To many to list) .___AIRCO wire feeder

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_waz View Post
    Wow, I checked out their meters. They sure are nice!
    But man are they expensive. The 4 gas meter is over $2000.00 from Airgas . I guess when your life is on the line money is no object right?
    If it helps, I use the M40 multi gas (also industrial scientific) with the sampling pump.($600 for monitor and $150 for pump)proven to be trustworthy with some common sense. Thats Canadian prices though.