Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Post New kid on the board/small pieces storage

Hello all, I been reading the board for quite a while now getting lots of useful info from all of you, thougt maybe some of you might have the same problem i have and if any one can help or have an idea would be appericated. HOW TO STORE THE ONE AND TWO FOOT PIECES OF FLAT,ROUND,TUBE,PIPE THAT YOU HATE TO SCRAP BECAUSE YOU MIGHT NEED THEM FOR A SMALL PROJECT? Does someone have pictures of something they built that you could post? I have a small custom fabrication shop and do a lot of these small projects. keep in mind space is limited. Thanks for reading and looking forward to hear from you all, Kris
    Kris
    Millermatic 250
    Miller 180 tig

An old milk crate works great!

I found this old crate out by the road!
    Attached Images Attached Images

for the small cut off stuff that is less than a foot, I just keep a couple of five gallon metal buckets around. i throw the "might use 'em in the future" pieces in those. I only keep two bucket because I figure that's an automatic way to limit my pac rat tendencies. For the slightly longer cut offs, I have a dedicated section of a pallet rack shelf that I divide the material into stacks according to style and size. Then I can just move a piece or two if I need a specific one instead of them all being piled on top of each other. That's the best systems I've come up with so far. At one time I looked a building a specific rack system for that stuff, but thought it'd be more work than it was worth. The limited bucket/shelf system is great for keeping clutter down. Once I get those areas full, anything else just goes to the scales for recycling. SSS

Helloreelman: You may want to cosider this option.Compartments are made of 2 x 1/4 flat & each one about 9" square. Made in sections & bottom ones stick out further for short pieces & longer in rear for easy viewing. Drawing is not the best but hopefully pic helps. Any questions please shout back & can give more details.All pieces rest butt end on floor so all rack has to do is keep stuff from falling over.

Wink small pieces storage

Thanks guys. sss, i like your idea of limiting two buckets. guess i need to use the " if you havent touched in a year or two, your probaibly not going to need it" method. im trying to get some pictures of some guards i built for a wire company in my hometown. hope it worked. I can work a welder better than a computer.
    Kris
    Millermatic 250
    Miller 180 tig