Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My skid too

Default My skid too

Was on a quick job today and took a few snaps of my contraption. It is cobbled together well enough to work but it is far from finished...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Default a few more

Was trying to go for a more stealthy look with this skid. More like a lunch wagon than a welding truck. Anything lighter looking than a welding truck. Loaded up with 4 bottles, tools, rod, and a couple of guys with gear it is pushing over 12,000 Lbs even with the structure made out of what I thought was lightweight Aluminum.

The reels appear a lot more jammed up in there than they are. Lots of hand and gloves clearance all around and they roll up very well for me in that set up. 120' of each lead, 100' of Oxy/Acetylene, and 100'+ of remote. The work gate is 2" tubes with 1/4" skinned work surface and 1/8" back. It is heavy as **** with the two vices mounted on it and I have a winch to pull it up but I haven't the drive to get it on there yet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

that is about the nicest setup ive seen that is for sure my hat is off to you . what type of work do you mainly do and what area of bc are you in?ps inside one of your boxes there is some gears what are they for just curious . I know myself for what i do mostly i just built a cage around my trailblazer that holds all my cables etc.. and another carrier for my ox and my 75/25 bottle and use the inside of my cab to carry the rest of the stuff but I dont do alot of mobile but i would like to get some hose reels for sure as I mainly do flux core wire so haveing to run the 2 cables the remote cable and the 75/25 cable can become tiresome when for the most part what i do involves no more than half hour to an hours worth of work it takes me longer to setup and load than the actual work I dont see myself doing what you have done as i mainly only do mobile an average of once a week but each time i go its 1200 usually done in less than 2 hours My other mobile only involves me packing my 200dx and i use there power . but some suggestions on simple hose reels that i could attach to my cage around my Tb would be helpful
    need it for 100 feet. and i unload the whole deal with my forklift by the lifting eye on my tb when i get home as my truck is my daily driver .but you did a very nice job Im impressed.
    Miller aerowave full feature
    Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray

Hey thanks Dan. There are a lot of nice setups I have seen out there and there a few oversights on this one that I am not thrilled about but it seems to work well enough for now. The gears you are seeing might be the 2-4" and 3-8" pipe beveling machines. Kindof embarrassing showing whats inside my toolboxes (not all of them are in the pics) as they are pretty chaotic and unsorted still. Cables on reels is most of the time a luxury that is well worth it but it can also be aggravating if the cable comes in covered in mud or heavily knotted or twisted. Simple wrapup bars are nice to have in really foul conditions.

You could probably use one of those large diameter self retracting air hose reels for your shielding gas and maybe even your remote cable? For welding lead reels I am happy to have the Alumareels but have used the Shell-Ryns and they were reasonable for almost half the price.

I try to do all the Oil&Gas piping work that I can of any kind as it is pretty lucrative but any pipe jobs or structural welding jobs will pay my bills just fine. Right now O&G is slow so I am doing whatever - mostly a lot of TV watching and going for coffee.

If you have some of those high dollar callouts that you just can't make and don't want to lose the customer give me a ring. I am only 3.5 hours away
    Cheers,
    Chris

It looks more like a farrier's truck to me. And that sounds better that a lunchwagon, too.
    Very nice setup, Chris.
    Jeff

Talking wow!

thats very impressive.and im not easily impressed. i must say im a little jealous ...youve given me some ideas for mine too .thx

I am all for toning things down when you have to be on the hiway. My truck gives a guy a manly feeling driving it but its quiet with all enclosed storage and neat but plain enough that no one gives it a second look.

Default light weight table?

Chris thats a fancy set up there, Is that truck#2? I wish to believe that you
    have an aluminum table on that rig, NO? I have always had steel table's, and
    was wondering if you miss being able to tack stuff to the table?
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

I am not a fanatic but try to keep it neat, no smashups, consistant paint, a little rust doesnt hurt and good front tires, good looking tires period but especially steers and it wouldnt work for a liner but I love the enclosed storage including bottles. I can lock it down or not worry about weather, I leave the regs on bottles, just all out of sight, same with the welding machine and comp, all behind covers.

perhaps pm me with your location and what you want dollar wise etc... you never know might be able to make it worth your while . As im only scratching the surface down here at moment for the amount of work that is available . I assume you have cwb flux core ticket and perhaps but not as necessary 7018 cwb?
    Miller aerowave full feature
    Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
    dynasty 200 dx
    lincoln sp 135 plus
    302 trailblazer
    s22p12
    powcon starcut
    cp 400 metal spray