Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My skid

Default My skid

I have been making up a roll on/off skid for my truck. This is the first skid Iíve made, so any criticism or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have already got one alteration with the tool boxes suggested by Piper Dan to make them sliding. I have made the reels pivoting so they tuck away beside the tool box when Iím mot using them, just so I can utilize the space. Iíve still got bottle racks and a table etc to put on, but I thought It would be wise to get your guyís input before I went too far, incase Iíve made a mistake that has to be dealt with before I go any further.
    The skid

The skid

Reels in stored position

Reels in normal position

Truck versus trailer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of you have very impressive mobile welding trucks. But in the interest of the security of your possessions, why not use a trailer? As far as I am concerned, a trailer would be my best bet due to limited garage/storage space. Also, if you needed to take your truck in for a repair, most of the trucks I have seen are probably too heavy for the lifts. As I am sure, some of you pipeliners have been on the receiving end of a recovery by a D-8. If your trailer rolls over you can still get home. I would like to get some good responses here as I have a big decision to make in regards to this subject

you are my hero!!

Very interesting!

Lets see more pics of the frame more details

TJ
    TJ______________________________________

Well it looks like you got some ideas I'll tell you what has to happen so people(other welders) dont think your green. Your welder should point out from the drivers side (like you have)or straight out to the back (like I have) never, never should it point out to the passengers side your spools are the same thing, I see your idea about you spools but always run them from the back or the drivers side always always. If you dont they will run your asss if you show up to pipeline and your spools are on the wrong side
    Their are alot of sh*ty welders that just started up in the last year and I am not sure why but they always have their welder/spools on the wrong side. You dont have to pipeline but even if you show up to general welding jobs with stuff on the wrong side they will know your green. Just trust me on this one, you'll thank me down the road (I drink Jack Daniels) I wouldn't worry about making the skid roll off like you have, I wouldn't use that system with the slope of your drive way and that 302 up in the air I would think it would just fall end over, it weighs what 500+ lbs Build your skid bolt it to the floor of your truck box and then add your welder get it bolted down good then add you boxes and bottles its a good idea to paint everything up like you have. I made it so I can do everything in my truck from the ground, when you climb in and out of your truck all day it gets to be a pain plus you need to be able to do things fast cause if you cant some else will be able to.Run your skid for a while and you'll add and take away before everything is setup good. I have been going for 5 years with my own rig and I still revamp it when ever I can so its easier and faster. There is no way of getting around it will happen. I am not trying to be a pr*ck I would just like to help you look the part anyways you have to look after the welding part by yourself. We should get together some day and I'll see if I can help more in person.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

[QUOTE=Marshall Brown;88108]Truck versus trailer -------------------------------------------------------------------------------Some of you have very impressive mobile welding trucks. But in the interest of the security of your possessions, why not use a trailer? As far as I am concerned, a trailer would be my best bet due to limited garage/storage space. Also, if you needed to take your truck in for a repair, most of the trucks I have seen are probably too heavy for the lifts. As I am sure, some of you pipeliners have been on the receiving end of a recovery by a D-8. If your trailer rolls over you can still get home. I would like to get some good responses here as I have a big decision to make in regards to this subject

It would be easier for someone to steel a trailer then my truck I know cause I have been broke into 3 times but they never got my truck. I have alot of space for my truck cause I live in ranch country plus how much space do you need for a short box 1 ton?? Like I said I live in ranch country where everybody has big diesel trucks and the repair shops have big lifts for our trucks. I have never been on the end of a D-8 and I have been in some mud
    holes trust me I buy good tires that help get me threw the muddy right of ways. When I get up in northern Alberta/BC their is no recovery in some places, if you go off the road thats it they will just let the dingo's eat you
    other parts of Alberta where the road isn't as bad we drive in groups to the
    job site, there might be a line of 10-15 trucks driving to the job site
    and all though very fast(130+) you get to know you truck and how it handles
    on mud roads A trailer would just be a pain in the ace cause of room, mudd
    and the ruff roads. this past summer I had to redo my whole front end driveshafts cause of the roads we drive on so I would think a trailer would
    get wore out very fast out in the oilfields. I have yet to see a trailer with
    a welder on it for pipelining, I would think it runs along the same lines as the
    time I saw a Honda ridge line with a welder in the back, it just doesn't look right if you know what I mean but each welder to his own
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Default fasten your seatbelts please

Quote Originally Posted by Coalsmoke View Post
    Ever think that the 130kph might have something to do with wearing out the front of your truck so quick If I got to go somewhere and go faster than 110 to get there, then its not worth me going there in the first place
    Ya thats what I thought when did my first oilpatch job. Bad thing is they will not wait for you and you'll get lost, you dont want to get lost out there. I stoped to have a leak and it was so dark out there I couldnt even see my hand infront of my face. Its pure bush and just little roads threw the muskegg
    and one wrong turn and you could be waiting until next day before you see anything. They have started to slow things down alot cause to many guys where getting wrecks and killing people. I would say you have a point about me going to fast with my rig and it getting a little long in the tooth or I mean teeth now Like I always say I'll take care of my next truck better, Hey coal
    you don't need to buy a good cummins do you? I might want to get rid of this one I have now. It runs great, top speed 155 with windows up and 150 with window down.
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

From pipeliner Dan

) never, never should it point out to the passengers side your spools are the same thing, I see your idea about you spools but always run them from the back or the drivers side always always. If you dont they will run your asss if you show up to pipeline and your spools are on the wrong side
    Their are alot of sh*ty welders that just started up in the last year and I am not sure why but they always have their welder/spools on the wrong side. You dont have to pipeline but even if you show up to general welding jobs with stuff on the wrong side they will know your green. Just trust me on this one, you'll thank me down the

I put mine on the passenger side because it is the sidewalk side and I do not want to unwrap in traffic. when you do most of your work in the city and on the street that is the side they should be on. To each his own.

Default right of way.

Quote Originally Posted by hondacycleman1 View Post
    From pipeliner Dan
    I put mine on the passenger side because it is the sidewalk side and I do not want to unwrap in traffic. when you do most of your work in the city and on the street that is the side they should be on. To each his own.
    I understand what your saying but here in Alberta we dont weld on the street your way Isnt wrong It just doesnt work here in Alberta. If I was doing your work I would still have them on the very back so its more open to different kinds of welding sites. Here we often back up to skid shops, drilling rigs, or well heads. If you drove into a well head cause the welder was on the wrong side cause you couldn't see your tires on the passengers side It may cost you your life or someone else's. If you started to pipeline and you showed up with your welder/spools on the passenger side they would just tell you to go home cause everybody drives down the same side of the "right of way" plus its way faster to have it on the driver side because everything is right there in an arms reach and you dont have to walk around the truck to start your welder up and spool out, I could have my welder started and my cables spooled out most likely before you even started your welder, here everything
    is about going as fast as you can cause of the rates that the oil companies
    pay. Its just the way it is here, I was just trying to help this guy out, their is alot of new trucks that just spooled up cause of all this "money" a welder can make but most of them dont know the right from wrong. It would work in your town but here its better our way. When your welding on the street what are you welding???
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    and easily upset
    go flames go

It would have been more accurate to tell GAZ if he wanted to be on the pipelines, blah, blah, blah. However, pipe is a very small avenue of the welding world. Yes, they can get trucks set up nicely, but it is not the only way to do it, nor is it the standard by which all trucks are measured by. You set up your truck the way you want it to be for your specific work. I have had two machines that could not be set up on the drivers side. Well, you could do it, but if you wanted to put gas in them, you would have to pull the machine. You base your rig on what you see around you and what you need, not what everyone tells you to do....unless you are on the pipeline in Canahodia, I suppose. That isn't my line, nor will it ever be. No one will tell me my rig won't work. I set them all up the way I want, not the way some idiot thinks it should be and then proceeds to enforce it by not giving me any work because he doesn't like the way my leads or machine points. To me, that is ridiculous. BUT, if GAZ is planning on heading to the line, then I suppose he had better take notes. However with a TB on the back, that doesn't look to be the case...but I could be wrong.

Gaz, you have an interesting deal going there. I for one will be watching you finish it up. One question. Since it rolls, how do you secure it in the truck?
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

I have only welded on one pipe line in my life and it was an out flow for a sewage treatment plant 6ft inside and 1 inch thick all 7018 up so my experience on gas or oil pipe line is Nil and I could never understand why all the trucks unwrapped from the left , now I know. If you were doing a security gate for a store front or fire escape on a busy street it is much faster and safer from the sidewalk side. That is why there are so many diffrent kinds of welding rigs each is best for the job they do. Thanks for the educataion. JIM
    I worded that wrong I've only welded one pipeline but I have many years on sewer and water lines.