Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default O/A welding aluminum

Any one have any good advice on o/a torch welding aluminum? I have never done this just wanting to give it a shot. what filler should I use do you have to use any sort of flux? Like I said I have no clue I am used to working with steel.

Default Good general purpose aluminum rod....

Hey Iron Man,
    There is a very good general purpose rod for aluminum welding that can be obtained on E-bay. Go to the welding section, then to the welding supplies category, then to rods & wire and you will find listings for several suppliers of this rod. I get mine from the gent in Texas. It works excellent and without any kind of flux. The only requirement I maintain is to clean the aluminum with a SS wire brush and acetone to get the welded area chemically clean. Much better welds that way. The other nice option is that this rod will repair die-cast items....you know that garbage type cast metal used for a lot of cheaper castings. Again, even with die-cast, prep the weld area. Normally I MIG weld all my aluminum, but, at times, this rod works well for a quicky repair. In addition, you can use propane, MAPP, propane/oxy., and oxy-acet. to get nice welds. The welding technique is very similar to soldering as you only have to get the alum. heated to the melting point of the rod, and just add it like you would solder to a joint. Hope that helps a bit....Denny

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiepap View Post
    Hey Iron Man,
    There is a very good general purpose rod for aluminum welding that can be obtained on E-bay. Go to the welding section, then to the welding supplies category, then to rods & wire and you will find listings for several suppliers of this rod. I get mine from the gent in Texas. It works excellent and without any kind of flux. The only requirement I maintain is to clean the aluminum with a SS wire brush and acetone to get the welded area chemically clean. Much better welds that way. The other nice option is that this rod will repair die-cast items....you know that garbage type cast metal used for a lot of cheaper castings. Again, even with die-cast, prep the weld area. Normally I MIG weld all my aluminum, but, at times, this rod works well for a quicky repair. In addition, you can use propane, MAPP, propane/oxy., and oxy-acet. to get nice welds. The welding technique is very similar to soldering as you only have to get the alum. heated to the melting point of the rod, and just add it like you would solder to a joint. Hope that helps a bit....Denny
    Caution!
    What Denny has described is NOT welding of aluminum in the slightest. He is referring to those 3 in 1 flea market rods that are mostly zinc. Stay away from them for any real work.

OA Filler material is the same as used for tig welding as follows

5356 on 6xxx and 5xxx series alloys
    1100 on 1xxx and 3xxx series alloys
    4043 on castings

Flux, I would try Esab allstate brazealloy #35 or flux from Kent White at www.tinmantech.com

That site also has a lot of good information for the beginner.

Hope this helps as a start, I weld a LOT of aluminum with the torch.

-Aaron
    "Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
    Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
    Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)