Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dune Buggy

Default Re

If you can get a hold of it use pure tung. or Zirconium tungsten. Is the aluminium mill as it does look like it if so you don't need to prep it.Just weld & go with it not that you need it but for a stronger weld I'd go with 5356 wire if you are painting it 4043 will work but if you get it anodized 4043 will turn black at the welds as 5356 will not.

Man thats looking good lot of work but in the end you'll be a proud man.
    "Molten Metal Fusion Technician"

I`m no tig guru by any streach of the imagination, but I`m sure your welds would benefit from a stainless brush and acitone . Clean both the material and the filler rod even if things look clean.

Your welds look a little on the cold side, but running a pass on a plate is much different than an outside corner or a fillet joint.

Sorry for pointing out the simple things you probably already know, but these are also the things that trip me up from time to time.

Mike
    Regency 200 w/30A
    Dynasty 200 dx
    Esab 875 plasma
    MM350-P w/30A

What kind of welder are you useing ? If its an inverter , you dont want to use pure tung. The ceriated or zirconium should work on a sqarewave transformer machine. I have a good link somewhere if I can find it. When I do I'll post it.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Thanks for the tips guys but i got it figured out.

I'm using a SW 180 and prefer the thoriated/ceriated which have worked well for me in the past. Got fed up with the practice pieces so just started welding on the cell and it turned out well aside from my lack of experience and inconsistancy.

more pics tomorrow
    AIM: Zachary188

atomrat Guest

Default 4-link tie-rod ends

Where did you get those tie-rod ends that you used on the 4-link? They look nice and stout. Have you used them in the past in any other off-road use? Have your ever had them break on you?

I seen and heard of many people breaking the tie-rod ends off of there A-arm suspension on Dune Buggies.

Garry

got the coilover hardware in today, and finished the fuel cell. Overall im not satisfied with the welds because i know they could be better but atleast it holds water.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by atomrat
    Where did you get those tie-rod ends that you used on the 4-link? They look nice and stout. Have you used them in the past in any other off-road use? Have your ever had them break on you?

I seen and heard of many people breaking the tie-rod ends off of there A-arm suspension on Dune Buggies.

Garry
    Their actually called Threaded rod ends, or Heim Joints. Personally i havent ever used them but they are used quite often in the offroad world. These have a static breaking strenght of 18,000 lbs i believe. They usually never fail on you, just wear out over time because of grit and grime. They can be had on ebay for fairly cheap

nice chariot

thanks cyborg

got the temporary rear coilovers finished today

We got the front coilovers mounted today and almost finished the frame for the fuel cell.