Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dune Buggy

Default welder

Zach, Yes it is looking better all the time. Zach, what size is your welder and what size wire you using? I was wondering if you might show us a picture of some of your welds closer up?
    Thanks!
    Gone But Never Forgotten!

Thanks guys

Im going to be building my own coilovers for the time being since good offroad ones are pretty expensive. For the front ill be using a pair of springs i grabbed from the junkyard and the rear will be using the origional front springs from my camaro. Also the rear will have a "cantilever" which will give me the mechanical advantage i need over the spring to lower the spring rate as well as giving me the 14" of travel needed.

For the chassis im using my MM251 right now its setup with .030 wire, but i alternate between that and .035 I dont have any pics of the welds on the chassis yet since its still tacked together but when i weld it up ill post some closeup pics. For the suspension pieces ill be using my syncrowave 180

thanks again,
    Zach
    AIM: Zachary188

Started tig welding the control arms today, got one bead into them and ran out of argon. go figure...

So then i built the motor mounts and transmission mount/crossmember. owner wanted the crossmember to be welded not bolted. oh well he will figure out why it should be bolted when he has to change a tranny haha.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin good Zach, yeah he'll have tight jaws if a tranny change is due.LMAO
    Thanks for sharin the proj. pics.
    L*S

BTW, can I come over and play, can I, can I, huh?LOL

haha Leons, your welcome to stop by anytime.

Welded all the 4 link bars and the bushing ends of the a arms tonight. If you see anything in the welds that should be changed im open to suggestions. i was using 3/32 %2 T, 3/32 er 70-6? maybe Filler and about 120 amps
    thanks
    zach

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro Zach
    Started tig welding the control arms today, got one bead into them and ran out of argon. go figure...

So then i built the motor mounts and transmission mount/crossmember. owner wanted the crossmember to be welded not bolted. oh well he will figure out why it should be bolted when he has to change a tranny haha.
    Did you try to explain to him why the cross member needs to be bolted ? You know when the time comes for a tranny change its going to come down on you when people ask "who built this thing with the cross member welded in". Bad reputations are a nasty thing regardless of whos falt it is . You wont be there to defend youre side of the story.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

his reply when i told him the reason for it being bolted "dude the motor is soo easy to take out its nothing..." Ill redo it after the first transmisson change (which will be about 6 months away) after he learns his lesson the hard way. I agree with the reputation thing and i am trying not to cut corners anywhere but i really want him to learn his lesson with this. It will make him step back and pay attention to things people try to tell him that he knows nothing about.

got the square tubing framework done to support the floor today. as well as mounting the seats and cleaned up the link brackets. the rear tires do look pretty puny but ride height will be a bit lower

got the half of the *firewall* finished today and remembered i should have rolled some beads in the metal oh well when i do the middle section and the center console i will do some. Let me know what you think

Looking sweet! You'll be jumping big sand piles in no time!