Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey guys, I have found the Zirconium is much better at handling heat, it will just about match 2% Thoriated. It is not cheap, but it will help you out with the Synchro 250. I have one myself. 1/8 would not be a bad idea in my opinion if you are in the 200 amp range. Hope this helps, Paul
    More Spark Today Please

i use 2% lanthanated in mine but its an inverter. it is becoming more common for the transformer users to start using the same as its advantages are still of use with the transformers.
    i found real world welding is verry seldome the same as playing on a flat plate. i started an aluminum welding cart for my TA-185 for just that reason. its given me a lot of good seat time in the more realistic side of welding. most of the time being standing and bent around over or under some part of it. it has also given me lots of time in lerning the puddle controle where it counts. i think it helps lern true puddle controle when its no laying on the table just waiting for you.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

here is a link to the cart project.
    http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...ead.php?t=7562
    Engloid
    made a good observation the rest of us missed or were just not thinking about. your filler should be put into the puddle to melt not the torch stream, lightly flip back the torch and dip into the puddle, the filler will cool down the puddle you can then move on to the next one. i was doing the same thing when i first started, you get a big filler puddle on the top and no penitration that way.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped

feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fun4now View Post
    i use 2% lanthanated in mine but its an inverter. it is becoming more common for the transformer users to start using the same as its advantages are still of use with the transformers.
    i found real world welding is verry seldome the same as playing on a flat plate. i started an aluminum welding cart for my TA-185 for just that reason. its given me a lot of good seat time in the more realistic side of welding. most of the time being standing and bent around over or under some part of it. it has also given me lots of time in lerning the puddle controle where it counts. i think it helps lern true puddle controle when its no laying on the table just waiting for you.
    Try not to use thoriated when posble on AC. It has a prety good arc and dosn't ball up very much, but you can get a fair amount of tungsten spitting that will contaminate you'r weld. Some welders I know taught me how to GTA weld with one person controling the pedal, one controling the filler rod, and one controling the torch. It's came in handy on numerous occassions in the past for out of possition work. The place I'm at know though has trigger switches for everything since almost everything is out of possition. We only have a few pedals in the enire shop and no one uses them ever.

I thought I read somebody uses 2% thorated on aluminum. I use only pure and it seems to work good. Have not tried any of the mixes yet. What does everybody use on aluminum? I do pretty much welding on aluminum and only use pure. Have not tried lanthanated. But I use a syncro-wave 180 and a synco-wave 250. dont have an invertor. At least not yet
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

I found a pack of zirconated 1/8", it really is holding a ball. My big problem is getting into corners. The pool is really hard to dirrect. I hate to say it but I had to get out the spool gun. This is a work project and had to get er done. I'll post some pic's later. TJ
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Miller CP 200 w/S21-E & Spoolmatic 3
    Miller Bobcat 225

Hobart R-300

"There are two kind of people in this world. Those who can weld and those who can't." Jesse James

I use a syncrowave 250 ten hours straight every day..... I use 1/8th ceriated (orange stripe) ground to a point with a cordless drill. I weld all positions except overhead (because it is production work...not because I can't) and it starts making a ball and stays rather small for several days if I don't dip it much. I am welding between 1/8th and 3/16ths material from 0-250ish amps and find that it works very well for inside corners as apposed to the old ball method (ie..less wander)