Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Railing help!

Here is better link for King, they are in Baltimore,Dallas and I think LA. I have used them many times and feel they offer a great resource, Hope this helps, Paul

kingmetals.com
    More Spark Today Please

I think he mentioned using square tubing. We've done it at school using 1/2" solid square. Put one end in a vice with 1" pipe over it to keep it straight while twisting (other end was a "Key" we made using extra scrap 1/2" bar that fit snugly around what we were twisting...If you guys know how to twist manually similar to that, PLEASE let me know, that tubing is a lot cheaper!!
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

what kind of steele you use cold roll or hot?

Quote Originally Posted by migwelder05 View Post
    dont have a machean do it old school all you need is a A/O torch, a vice and some friends. heat it up to cherry red weld a pice on the top first then stick it in the vice and twist it that what ide do
    thts how ive always done it

Use hot roled 1/2" solid...it really ain't hard to twist...put one end in a vice and use a big crescent wrench on the other end and mark it with soapstone and give it two turns (as a starting point) Take it out and look at it and adjust from there....it doesn't get much more crude or simpler than that!!
    Then if you like what you see then weld two old 1/2" sockets together and use a big ratchet on one end and a third socket welded to the bench or whatever also using the drive end to put the picket in...still crude but not quite as Neanderthal.

You need to twist it cold. if you heat it up it will twist wherever the heat is. If done cold it will twist evenly between the 2 places its held. Made some cool stuff this way. And not to hard to twist
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]