Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

need help!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help!

Is there anyone out there that knows how to figure thrust and pull on steel pipe or i-beams. I am thinking about setting up a jib crane with 20 ft 10 inch i-beam and a tie rod connected to the i-beam somewhere along about 3/4 way out on the i-beam. I am trying to figure out how big a pipe support I need for this jib. I am thinking 12 inch 3/8 wall or next size up on thickness, cemented in the ground thru an existing slab with a block poured around the pipe about 3 feet high by 30 inch square above the existig slab, maybe 3 feet under the existing slab up to about 12 feet clearance under the i-beam for ample working room and lift 3-4000#s max. The i-beam will beon a 2 inch shaft with bushings welded to the pipe support so it will swing in any direction. I found some sites on the internet that sale jib cranes and some of them list specs but i personally think it is an overkill on the sizes they show their cranes .

pm me i have a steel manual and we might be able to figure it out together. it has all strenghs etc of various steels etc. ill try to bring it home manana.

Comment

Working...
    X
    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.