No announcement yet.

Miller Welding Glove Feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried out the Stick gloves today. Me like! They were just about perfect in feel and ease of movement. No complaints. I was just doing some low amperage work, around 115a. I could tell they would be a little toasty when up around 200-300 amps. Maybe for next time, Miller could add a Nomex lined glove for high amperage work. Most of my stick work is in the 100-175a range anyway, so these are fine. If these hold up to regular use, I can see me getting more. Time will tell.

I also used the metal work gloves all flippin day. I do believe they are the best of the bunch. I was able to pick up stuff I usually couldn't with gloves...that sure was nice. They are comfy and easy to adjust...and they stay adjusted. I have an anti-vibe pair similar to the metal gloves. The velcro on them will drive you nuts. I am quite pleased with these and will definitely be getting more.

James, I'm not sure. I put it on the back of the hand area since that was where it was tight. If it is a glazing, it just might "rough it up".
    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
    '06 12RC feeder
    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
    Esab Multimaster 260
    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Don,
      I agree about the Stick/ Mig gloves, but they are my favorite over the metal handling ones. I been (blue ones) using them on my motorcycle and they work well there. I will be buying the Stick ones from now on too. I still have not used the tig and standard mig ones, but that should come pretty soon.

Comment

i been putting in a good bit of time on the metal work gloves and have to agree with the rest they are great. and as they are the same $$ as the ones i usualy use its a no brainer i'll be using the miller from now on. verry good fit and feel and defenetly better built than the craftsmen and others i been using. only drawback i can see is availability but that may change with time and the place i get my argon caries them so i'm ok there to as i'll just get them when i come in for gas.
        i still have to say the MIG/stick ones remain my faveret. the MIG only are lacking in padding and heat protection in my opinion but could well soute some of you.they worked fine and did a good job of heat protection wile welding. i just have a tendency to foolishly pick up hot stuff and the MIG/stick work out much better for this and still alow for great feel and the ability to do all my fit-up wile wearing them. as for using them above 200 amps maybee add a heat shield like the one pictured. i used to use one all the time to keep my big bulky gloves from shrinking into a ball at the back of my stedieing hand. i have not needed it for the miller MIG/Stick ones as they dont seem to shrink up. well not so far and it only seems fair to the test to continue using the gloves without the shield as its a test for me any way as they were given to me to abuse and grade. it will also let me know if its needed for my next pair when its my $ on the line. as i dont have the power to weld over 200amps i dont think i will be needing it with these gloves as i did with the old ones. depending on the amount of padding you are looking for the mig or mig/stick are both great gloves for fit up and welding. it always botherd me that i spent $200+ on my BWE so i could do fit up and weld without messing with my hood only to have to stop and take off or in some cases even change gloves just to get it ready to weld. i tended to end up doing a lot of tacking and some welding using my metal working gloves and was using my welding gloves only on long welds. now with the MIG/Stick gloves i can do fit-up and welding with the same glove, and i love it. thease will always be in my shop no ? about it. i wish the $ was a lil lower but i like them enough to say i will pay the extra. so far they seem to be holding up well. i just wish i had more to weld and more time to do it. gess i better get that TIG cart designed, maybe this weekend after i get a few covers cut. looking forward to trying out them TIG gloves.
        Attached Files
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

I got to try the TIG gloves today, I have to say I am very impressed with them. I used other tig gloves before and I always found it hard to hold the filler rod and wearing these gloves I have to say everything feels like I'm not wearing gloves at all.

I was also using the metal work gloves today, I can say these have to be my favorite I have used so far.

I will give both of these gloves 10/10, I still have yet to use the stick of mig gloves but I'm sure I will be just as satisfied with them.
          Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Comment

Ok, it's been estlablished that there the best thing since sliced bread, now how can they improve them even more yet? If Miller offered them with no seam in the finger tips then everone would think theres a conspeiracy going on with Miller, cause no one in there right mind would ever buy any other brand of glove again!

Comment

Ok, Ok. So these gloves are the greatest. Do our Miller suppliers have them yet or are they just being tested? Sounds like everyone likes them.
              Scott
              HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

they are available on-line and at your LWS if they chose to cary them. cyberweld caries them i know but i have not checked any one else i'm shore whoever you use online would have them or be able to get them. they are in the store i get my gas from. but not in the other one i use.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

finally got to spend a few days using the tig gloves, at first I had a problem feeding the filler but that went away after about 10 minutes. I normally use Tillman 24C's and I still have 4 pairs that havn't been used yet but I do like these Miller tig gloves and can recommend them, I can even pick up a peice of filler off the floor, something i couldn't do with my Tillmans.
                  Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
                  Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
                  Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
                  Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I'm looking forward to using a pair of the new gloves. As soon as they are available to our shop we will be testing them.
                    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
                    Esab PCM 1000

Comment

Found them at cyber weld. Seem to be pretty good to do business with, free shipping. Local welding supplier doesn't have them but can order.
                      Scott

Comment

cyberweld will also take pay-pall if you have it or want to use it. i think the free shipping is only on over $25 or some thing like that, i just got some stick electrodes and a few pairs of blue safty glasses there. had it in 2 days.
                        ok back to the gloves.
                        been using the TIG gloves quite a bit lately and i gotta say i'm still verry happy with them. they are holding up great and provide more heat protection than the tillmans but with as good or better feel sensitivity. so for us TIGer's without water cooled torches its a big +. they are firmly on my must have list for my TIG goodies box.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

Ok, now I'm gonna have to have a pair!!!
                          Scott

Comment

Ok, I've finally put some time in behind an arc instead of the table saw! I'm a long way from wearing any of them out, but I did some tig and mig work a couple days ago and compared them to my old set. One of the first things I noticed was the extra material in the wear areas of the palm. Not only will it provide wear resistance, but I like that fact that you have a little more padding in the areas that you typically rest you hand without making the entire glove overly cumbersome. I should have some other projects coming up soon to test them on, such as a weld-up shop building here in a few weeks.

I must report that I have been wearing the living daylights out of the material handling gloves. they've hauled plywood, sheetrock, boomed down numerous flatbeds, spent several hours at the controls of heavy equipment, cleaned up brick trash, gotten greasy while doing spring PMs on all the equipment. Absolutely love them! (but again, wish I could get just one size bigger...XXL)

SSS
                            Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 03-23-2007, 11:31 PM.
                            Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
                            Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
                            1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Comment

Here goes.

I received my gloves about a month ago and have waited to post until I could give my feedback on all the gloves. Here 'tis:

Sheetmetal: I couldn't wear them. They are too small. Finding gloves that fit me is a regular problem. So, no surprise there. I gave them to a co-worker who reports: Well made and comfortable. Have used them for everything from the fine work of dialing in shaft couplers to pitching trash off the trailer and they have to be the best and toughest gloves I have ever had.

HD Mig/Stick: I love these gloves. 99% of my stick work is below 150A and these seem to be the perfect gloves for my application. The extra padding in wear areas addresses the wear and heat issues nicely without the extra weight and, more importantly, the stiffness of lesser gloves. I go through a regular break-in ritual with all my leather gloves I intend to have more than a week (most work gloves don't last that long). Afterwards, the HD Mig/Stick gloves were as comfortable and flexible as regular leather work gloves. It was like welding on a whole other plane. The first rule of welding I was taught is "Get comfortable". Maybe I never had a really good pair of gloves before, just expensive ones. But, these Miller gloves give me a new starting place to "get comfortable", my hands. Thank you, Miller.

MIG: I don't mig. Having said that, I love these gloves, too. I am using them as kind of HD Tig gloves. I am having to add lots of mink oil to the outside of the right glove to keep them soft, but mink oil is cheap. I also like these gloves better than the Tig version when I'm welding in freezers below zero. About half my customers freezers are -10, -20 or -40, but seem to account for 85% of the welding. The extra insulation works to keep hands warm, too. After breaking them in, they fit well enough to keep blood flowing to my fingers better than my old ones and I don't have to stop as often and thrust my right hand into the mouth of the 40,000 btu propane heater that accompanies me on extended jobs in the cold. This translates to more productivity making my company, my customer and me happier people. Thanks, Miller.

And finally, my fav, TIG: These were the first pair out of the box to really catch my eye. The lighter color and softer feel drew me in like a horsefly to a bug zapper. I really took my time breaking them in and had worn them probably ten times before striking the first arc with them on. Over the past month, my tig work has been all over the amperage dial. From 5A to 150A and everything in between. I've repaired cast iron art, pipe, plate, channel, etc. Other than those applications mentioned above, these gloves have impressed me with their balance of heat/radiation tolerance and comfort/dexterity. Plenty of protection when repairing racks and supple enough to hold coins while tacking the edges. Muchos gracias, Miller.

Recommendations:

Bigger sizes. All my gloves were XL. All were stretched to fit me except the sheetmetal gloves which I had to give up to a compatriot with smaller meathooks. Maybe offer XXL.

Excellent design on the forefinger seam of the tig gloves. The only improvement would be a seamless finger. Is this possible? I would pay extra for that.

HD Mig/Stick and Mig gloves could be improved by an extra strip along the outside of the little finger down to the base of the palm for extra heat and wear protection during fit-up and holding pieces to tack.

Pre-punch a hole (and maybe a brass grommet) in the cuffs for glove keeper clips.

Final suggestion: Get my LWS to stock them. Buying off the internet is great and I love the suppliers I deal with for my personal stuff. Having said that, reimbursement for them is cumbersome at best. My LWS takes my company purchase orders and the only thing better than Miller gloves is Miller gloves my company pays for directly.
                              Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
                              Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
                              Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
                              CST-250
                              HF-15 High frequency
                              XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
                              Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

Comment

They finally died

After about six weeks of almost daily use, the material handling gloves are about ready to be retired. Not bad, I think. I am horrible on gloves. Mainly because I wear them almost all the time that I'm not in the office (haven't tried typing with them, although I can use the buttons on my cell phone pretty good, so that's saying something). The pics tell most of the wear story. Most of the wear is on the right glove, which is fitting because I'm right handed. One small tear is starting to develop on the left middle finger, though. This weekend did them in. I was jack hammering out a lot of the side walks around my house in preparation for a remodeling project. Guess the rough edges of concrete was a little too much on the already tired gloves. Also, I did run them through the washer once after I worked outside in the rain and mud. Figured they were already water logged, so it couldn't hurt them to try. They made it through just fine. I did let them air dry. Didn't want to risk shrinking them in the dryer. SSS
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 04-08-2007, 07:00 PM.
                                Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
                                Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
                                1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Comment

Working...
                                X