Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller Welding Glove Feedback

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got to use my MIG gloves today. After several hours of aluminum, mostly around 200 amps+, I can say they were very nice. They did get warm on several occasions, but not overly. The best part is the leather did not shrink up or get hard. That has to be a first for me. The Tillmans I have always used get hardened on the first day and I just have to live with it. The MIller MIG's are the same now as when they were new. The cuff was a little snug, but not too bad. Overall, I say these are a winner as well.

The TIG gloves are still holding up very well. My Tillman TIG gloves are in better shape, though.......mainly because I quit using them completely. I haven't noticed any shrinkage or hardening, and I can still pick up the filler rod off the table.

Stick gloves are hanging tough still. Got to be my hands down favorites now.

The Metalworker gloves are starting to show some wear now. Two small holes are starting, but when you consider that I wear them for absolutely everything, it is a wonder they have lasted this long. They will definitley be replaced with the same ones.

FWIW, I noticed brwelder.com has the gloves for sale now.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you to everyone who has commented on this thread. We consider this "experiment" to be a great success. Our members really gave our new gloves a workout and it's been great to gather all of the comments first hand from the users.

We had lots of nice, positive feedback on the gloves, overall it seems that they were considered a useful, good-quality glove and some even said they were thinking of making a switch from their previous favorites to the new Miller gloves! (how much better does it get than that!?)

In looking at the suggestions in the threads, it seemed like we had a few comments come up repeatedly. Here's what the Arc Armor group said regarding each one:

1) Availability at the Local Welding Distributor
      Unfortunately Miller doesn't have control over what your local distributor carries. However, we have already had several distributors start carrying the Miller Arc Armor product line entirely due to their customer's requests. We are progressively introducing a Miller glove display at distributor locations across the U.S. Our advice is to keep requesting them from your local distributor and if they refuse to bring them in for you, there are several online suppliers that will gladly fill your order.

2) Size seems to run a bit small
      Although the gloves seem to run small, part of this perception is due to the loose fit most are used to with other welding gloves on the market. Miller has put a great deal of effort to create gloves that promote optimum dexterity and touch. It's difficult to do this with a loose fitting glove. However, we also understand that because the general public are used to the loose fit, we have decided to increase the size of the XL one full hand size and the Large half a hand size. This allows those who would like a looser fit to use a larger glove, yet still allows those who like that form fit to find a glove for them. If this still doesn't alleviate the problem, we already have plans of creating a XXL size if needed.

3) Seams in the finger tips
      This is a good observation and one we are looking at addressing with the evolution of our glove designs. Unfortunately, most all gloves on the market today have a similar problem. However, we feel that adding to the tactility and increasing the end user's dexterity while wearing the gloves is a priority.

4) Glove durability
      A few of you have shown concerns about how durable the gloves are. We've grown so accustom to "durable" welding gloves looking a certain way, that when we see a pair that looks good, we naturally get the impression that they couldn't hold up. However, we use premium materials: cow, pig and goat skin. On top of that, our welding gloves are sewn together with Kevlar thread. As with any tool, each has its purpose. The MIG glove is designed for light duty MIG and metal handling applications, where the Heavy Duty MIG/Stick glove is meant for higher amperage (heat) applications. Even still, we are looking at improving the heat resistance in the Heavy Duty gloves to increase the protection in high amperage applications.

5) Gloves with long cuffs
      We started off with a relatively small and focused product line. However, we are planning on adding to this line and we certainly will look at a design with longer gauntlets. On the other side, we've found that several end users would prefer gloves (especially TIG gloves) to have shorter cuffs. We are looking at this option as well.

6) MIG are lacking heat protection
      As stated earlier, the MIG glove was designed with a specific purpose in mind. We do offer a glove with more protection in the Heavy Duty MIG/Stick glove design.

If any of you would like to continue or add feedback, that would be greatly appreciated. Again, thank you to all of the members who participated in this thread. The feedback has been great to receive.

Comment

Follow up on sizing

As far as my observations on glove size go, I'll add one last comment. For me, the overall size and fit of the XL is good. The area that lacks for my hands are the finger length. My fingers bottom out in the glove tip a half inch from the point that the the palm area would contact. This does limit some degree of mobility at the third knuckle. That point is articulating inside the body of the glove and not at the base of the finger sleeve. SSS

Comment

Thanks

Big thanks to Miller for giveing me the chance to try out your new line of gloves.
          odds are good it would have been a long time befor i would have even gotten a chance to see them much less buy a pair had you not made me a test subject for the new line.
          just as i would expect the gloves have been a great as my Miller welding power scorces. although i dont expect the gloves to last as long as the machines, i am still abusing my set of gloves at every opertunity. be it yard work or welding they are my go too gloves. not only will i be buying more when these finaly get worn out ( looks like its going to be a wile still ) but i will recomend them to any one that i get the chance to.

great gloves and a great big thanks for letting me try them out.

Comment

The stick/ mig gloves are super nice and are my very favorite ones. I will be buying those ones from now on. What more can I say about them???

Comment

I really like the tig gloves and will be buying them as soon as my stash of tillman 24CS's are gone.

Comment

wowwwwwwwwwwwwww

YOU KNOW FORUM IF I WAS ANY SLOWER I'D BE GOING BACKWARDS
                GOT A POWER-CLIK DIDNT READ THE THING AND MISSED OUT.
                DUMB MOVE ON MY PART.... MY BAD.
                ANY WHO... I'M Sure beyond a doubt miller glove are a quality product as like other miller things....BUT RIGHT NOW I'VE PURCHASED A PAIR OF TILLMANS 850-L's....AND I must state that these are the best gloves I've worn yet
                made of elk skin, deep cuffs,sewn with,kevlar the whole nine. I belive they are the top of the line tillmans makes.Guys you gotta check em out to see what I'm talkin about
                THEY ARE KNOWN AS TILLMAN PIPELINERS 850-L

Comment

an update

some one was asking about the Miller gloves the other night and i got to thinking i should do an update for the post here wile i had fresh pic's of the gloves. yep they are still alive and well ok so not as nice looking as when they got here but cirtenly still working just as well as day one. none of the seams have ripped, the leather is still soft and comfortable to where. feel is still good in all the fingers.
                  in short the only way you can tell they have been used is by the apearence and smell i would suspect. i am verry impressed. none of the other gloves i have tryed have lasted this long without getting hard and brittel or shrinking up out of shape due to heat. i am still not using the heat shield i always used befor to try to save the other gloves from over hest shrinkage and britelness. so these gloves have had it much harder than my other's ever have. i have started lerning stick welding so they are aso getting exposed to that as well now and are holding up great.
                  i fully expected to be buying new gloves long befor now, but as it looks it will still be a long time befor i need to replace them. so even with a $20 sticker price they have proven to be cheaper than the others mearly by far outlasting them. so taking out the cosmetics was expected and they did lose that nice look, but they still have the great feel and function.
                  thanks again for the great gloves.
                  Attached Files

Comment

After waiting a couple of months for my order of samples to get here, they finally arrived. I passed out the gloves to the crew for use, abuse, and comments, and the feedback was par to whats been written here already. Through myown useage over the past six weeks I've been very impressed with their durabillity among other things.

A couple of shots of my metal working gloves after six weeks / one pair, and every day use working on CAT equipment. Grease, heat, water, rough edges, you name it. Earlier today they looked like the ones in Fun4Now's post except I hand washed them this evening with Spray & Wash stain remover, revitalizing their youth. A few cuts, and the spandex back on the left hand is slowly burning from grinder sparks. Not bad.

Our shop has completely switched over to the Arc Aromor gloves, for all metal working / welding applications.
                    Attached Files

Comment

cool, i'm going to have to pick up some spry and wash. looks like i might be able to bring back a lil of the bling to mine.
                      probly dont need to say it but mine are still holding strong, just not a perdy as Jonny's, but i'll work on that.
                      thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                        some one was asking about the Miller gloves the other night and i got to thinking i should do an update for the post here wile i had fresh pic's of the gloves. yep they are still alive and well ok so not as nice looking as when they got here but cirtenly still working just as well as day one. none of the seams have ripped, the leather is still soft and comfortable to where. feel is still good in all the fingers.
                        in short the only way you can tell they have been used is by the apearence and smell i would suspect. i am verry impressed. none of the other gloves i have tryed have lasted this long without getting hard and brittel or shrinking up out of shape due to heat. i am still not using the heat shield i always used befor to try to save the other gloves from over hest shrinkage and britelness. so these gloves have had it much harder than my other's ever have. i have started lerning stick welding so they are aso getting exposed to that as well now and are holding up great.
                        i fully expected to be buying new gloves long befor now, but as it looks it will still be a long time befor i need to replace them. so even with a $20 sticker price they have proven to be cheaper than the others mearly by far outlasting them. so taking out the cosmetics was expected and they did lose that nice look, but they still have the great feel and function.
                        thanks again for the great gloves.
                        i think im gonna have ta buy some of those at my local miller dealer and see if i can kill em . from what it sounds like there good quality. i gotta get some soon cause my stick ones are dying out quickly.

Comment

spam by any other name

anyone besides me tired of this ad for work at home

Comment

i still have and love mine.

FWIW all my Miller gloves are still in use. well the metal handling gloves have seen better days and need replaced. but the welding ones are still in serviceable condition. much longer than any other glove's i have used.
                            there a little beat up and showing there age, but still in use.

Comment

Since this thread came back (probably by McFoolgle), I STILL haven't recieved my free pair yet! I actually had bought some because of all the posts, and yes, they are what they say they are! I just watch where I use 'em, so I don't get them too dirty

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.