Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another dumb compressor idea form Bjorn.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bjorn buddy, You arnt on MSN right now so if I cant say it there Ill say it here. Man everyone on this thread says its a bad ideasave up money and buy one for god sakes your going to kill yourself or someone else its not worth it. By time you buy all the stuff to build it thats going to be money that could go for the compressor. as jamlit said its illigal. Use your head buddy your a good guy to talk to I dotn need to find out that you died because of this compressor blowing up or something. I woudlent even attempt to weld it do yuo even have a pressor ticket? your 16 I wouldent think you would if you know someone who does get them to its ALOT safer thenyou doing it yourself. Your 16 you have a long life ahead of you.
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Comment

You said you were going to use a 6.5 motor from your go-cart so i'm assuming thats a gasoline engine. If you did use that it would have to be placed outside and you have the problem of protecting the compressor from the weather adding more money to the project. just a thought cause we all know about CO poisioning. I'm going to strongly suggest that you don't make this tank as would everybody with a good head on their shoulders that reads this thread. A while back I saw an article with pics of a poor guy who was on the receiving end of a compressor that exploded and it is not a pleasant way to die. BTW you really don't need a 250 gallon tank for what you do, a decent 60 gallon with 10cfm would be plenty and a million times safer.

Listen to the advice everybody has given you because it could save yours or somebody eleses life.

Comment

So many people trying to advise you not to fabricate a pressure vessel, yet your doing it any way.
        A freind of mine , also ex coworker was beeing advised not to do something related to his carreer by freinds and professionals, he did it any way, now he is in jail for killing and maiming a few people as a result of his actions. And it was very uncomfortable to say the least for me being put on the witness stand at his trial.
        Do yourself and the people around you a favor, buy a second hand air compressor and save your talents for what you do best, your coustom trailers.
        I'm not questioning your welding capabuilities, but welders don't design tanks, they build them from blue prints drawn by engineers who went to collage to learn how to design tanks, no mater how big or small.

Comment

http://www.cdc.gov/Niosh/face/stateface/ca/05ca010.html

This is a slightly different case, but still I think it should get the point across very well. It is a good read for anybody that has/works with compressed air...SSS
          Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 02-20-2007, 08:46 PM.
          Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
          Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
          1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Comment

holy **** SSS that is friken crazy! .. i'm second guessing the build my own tank thing now... What if i build a little smaller tank?.. The one on the jeep worked so why wont this one? the one in that pic SSS is like 16gage sheetmetal, i want to make mine with sch40, isent that thick enough that it isent gunna explode at 110psi? .... Hmm .. one of my friends is a pipe welder .. well not anymore but he has been doing it for years and he thinks as long as i run the rod through it should be fine. What is classified as a pressure vessel anyways?,, i made a welding gas manifold that i run 3 welders off one tank of gas and it works fine... that is operating at roughly the same psi and tig welded it and is 3/16 5x5 square tube... well i dunno i'm probaly not gunna do it anymore but why is it illegal if its not going to be used in public?....
            Jorgensen MFG.
            Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
            argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
            www.ehhitch.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bmxin^Bjorn View Post
              i was planning just to cap it with plate and drill holes in it and run a rod through it to beef it up
              Take it from someone who is a degreed structural engineer and was a licensed professional engineer prior to retirement - there is a reason that pressure vessels are either spherical or cylindrical with hemispherical ends. If you simply cap the ends with flat plate, you will introduce high bending stresses and an extreme stress concentration at the joint. It will take very little pressure to raise the stresses near the joint to the yield point of the material. The cyclic loading as the tank pressure rises and falls in operation will fatigue the metal very quickly.

At least you can save a little effort by not bothering to install a moisture drain. Fatigue cracks and tank failure will occur before the tank has a chance to corrode. Although your plan to install a reinforcing support longitudinally along the tank axis will help to relieve some to the joint stresses it will introduce another stress concentration point where the longitudinal support pierces/attaches to the flat ends.

To say what you are planning is a bad idea is probably the biggest understatement I've heard this year.
              Tom Veatch
              Wichita, KS

Comment

I hope you take some of the advice given here. I DO NOT QUESTION YOUR WELDING ABILITIES and don't want to put you down, but the main reason I am stressing this point is, I am getting tired of all the rules and regulation changes due to projects like this. I am a third class power engineer and deal with the codes and regs all the time and these are always being changed because someone made their on low pressure boiler and air compressor tank which are all pressure vessels. If anyone even a friend made a air tank and it was on a vehicle or in their garage I would report it. I couldn't live with it on my conscience ( and I have a hard enough time sleeping now ) if someone were hurt or killed over something like this. Think of it this way. You are going to save what 200.00 maybe 300. 00 dollars. Is that worth the risk or someones life.

Please take this advice and buu a tank

Take care and be safe.
                Little Fabrication
                sigpic
                Miller DVI2
                Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
                HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Comment

color

What color of flowers would you like on your grave? When not if this tank blows your hole will dug for you. Wake up and listen to what people are telling you. If you will not listen please do us all a favor and do not reproduce!!!
                  MM251
                  79mod 200LE
                  Purox Torch
                  07 Chevy Duramax

Comment

Just noticed that at the top of the main forum page the miller is saying " Dream it, Weld it " . Do not believe it ment to weld ilegally.
                    Little Fabrication
                    sigpic
                    Miller DVI2
                    Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                    HF 130 tig

Comment

why is it illegal if its not going to be used in public?....
                      for just this reason.
                      its to protect people too foolish to protect them selves. for thouse that think no biggie i can weld i'll just make one myself, 2 days later when it blows up and a pice of that sc40 pipe comes flying out of your garage and hits my wife walking down the street killing her wile you are at burger king gstting a snack. thats werst case of corse but it could just as easily keep you from killing your self also. some things are just not ment to be jurry rigged, red neck injeneared, how ever you want to call it. so even if its not being used in public its still not leagel to do it. the goverment had decided in this world of many diferent people that some need to be told " its a bad idea, dont do it" so as advised abouve by many here.... "DONT DO IT"
                      Save up a bit and buy one, if i can do it on my income so can you. save your welding tallent for other things and leave this one to the pro's.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

insted of tearing up your go cart to make a compressor, why not sell it and go buy a compressor
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

kay guys don't worry i sold the cart and am buying a Devair 240gal compressor,, wont be as fun but i guess it will be safer
                          Jorgensen MFG.
                          www.ehhitch.com

Comment

glad to here it. now you can use the time you saved to build some thing else insted and you will be safe. 240gal compressor wow that one big tank, what you need all that for??? i have a 60 or 80 gal and its got plenty of air. or did you just get a good deal on it so you went for it.??
                            thanks for the help
                            ......or..........
                            hope i helped
                            sigpic
                            JAMES

Comment

i got an ausome deal on it , it was $3200.00, it's got 2 pumps on it and 2 motors. it makes a ton or compressed air!
                              Jorgensen MFG.
                              www.ehhitch.com

Comment

Glad to hear it and wish you great luck with all your welding projects. Glad I checked this post to see how you made out.

Have fun and be safe.
                                Little Fabrication
                                sigpic
                                Miller DVI2
                                Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                                HF 130 tig

Comment

Working...
                                X