grandpa liked the flap discs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grandpa liked the flap discs

My grandpas been welding for almost his whole life and he 70 now and hes never used a flap discs before, so I gave him one to try and he loved it he said he wished he would of tryed these things a long time ago, he also said he'll never use a grinding wheel again.

What kind of flap discs do you use? I too have only used grinding discs in the past.

Comment

I use 80 and 60 grit flap discs,7" and 4 1/2" as for the brands I use whatever's avalible closests to my area. but the best ones I've used so far are the Dewalt, I alos prefer the type 29 ove type 27 the 27 is flat and the 29 is slightly angled, but it all depends on what your grinding. Hope this helps

Comment

I'm usally grinding railings like 1/2 square or 1 1/4 tubing.

Comment

I've been using them for awhile now. I only use the grinding discs for grinding out bad stuff. The flap discs are great for dressing the weld, removing surface stuff and final cleaning.

I'd just stay away from the Harbor Freight ones.
          BullDog Dave
          05 Dodge CTD 4x4
          MillerMatic 210
          Spectrum 625
          Thunderbolt XL

Comment

Walter flap discs are the best! Nothing else can match em!
            Jorgensen MFG.
            Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
            argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
            www.ehhitch.com

Comment

Heck they even got'em at Wal-Mart!!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

The 38-40 grit flapper discs take off metal much faster and you can still get an almost polished finish with a little finesse. Also, when you think they're worn out....keep on going! They last quite a while!
                Matt Adams A&P, IA
                Trailblazer 302
                Dialarc HF

Comment

I've used a number of different brands of flap disks / mop disks. Walter are the only ones (to my knoledge) that can be shaved down (the plastic backing) to utillize the full abrasive component. I tried shaving other disks down, plastic backed, and when one blew up on me, the manufacturer stated that the disk was modified from it's origional state. Not pretty.

Walter has disks designed to remove a portion of the plastic backing so you can use the disk after the edge wears off. If you buy your own disks, this becomes an asset, less cost for consumables.

I suffered a laceration and bruising to my gut, a broken thumb, and swollen hand.
                  This damage happened through a leather glove.
                  Attached Files
                  Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
                  Esab PCM 1000

Comment

Dang, that thing blowed up real good....I have been able to use disks down to the plastic, the brands I use are Klingspor,Sait,and I can't remember the others, what size wheel, 7 or 4.5 that blew up?????That photo does alot more for my wanting to be careful than any warning labels....Thanks,Paul
                    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

I learned my lession once while grinding, This year was the first year I really had to do grinding on finished projects and one day I wasent paying close attention and a zip cutwas ont he grinder and it blew up on my hand and shirt but I had a thick sweater on luckly no one got hurt, I always check the grinding discs whe i am using them now. It gave me a little bit of a scare ill never make that mistake again!
                      I have never used the flap discs before we have them at the shop when using them do you use them the exact same way as a grinding disc or would you use them a different way that makes them work better or last longer.
                      Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Comment

Thanks for the topic. I have one but haven't used it much. I will have to try it a little more and see if I like it. Has anyone used one of these to take paint off of metal for repainting?

Comment

PFERD makes a good product as well, I've used the #M and PFERD paint stripping wheels, both work well and don't really mare up th surface, depending on th paint thickness sometimes they don't last to long
                          Trailblazer 302G
                          MM 210 with spool gun
                          Thermal Arc Heffty2 CC/CV suitcase
                          Smith torches
                          Porter Cable 14" carbide chop saw
                          griders and hand tools coming out the WAZOO

I owe! I owe! so off to work I go!

Comment

Originally posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
                            I learned my lession once while grinding, This year was the first year I really had to do grinding on finished projects and one day I wasent paying close attention and a zip cutwas ont he grinder and it blew up on my hand and shirt but I had a thick sweater on luckly no one got hurt, I always check the grinding discs whe i am using them now. It gave me a little bit of a scare ill never make that mistake again!
                            I have never used the flap discs before we have them at the shop when using them do you use them the exact same way as a grinding disc or would you use them a different way that makes them work better or last longer.
                            yes you use the the same way .It takes metal off a little slower so its good for beginners.
                            Last edited by chris madden; 05-07-2007, 12:21 AM.
                            Millermatic 135
                            Syncrowave 200 with coolmate 3
                            Hypertherm powermax 30

were I am when I am home
                            http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...5/IMG_7413.jpg

Comment

I would be careful putting both grinding disk and flap disk together, you need to have them both centered and this might give you a problem due to the thickness, not to mention the extra weight spinning around on that arbor. Just my OHO[old honest opinion]...Paul
                              More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X