No announcement yet.

mp3 welding hoods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to agree with the custom molded ear plugs. I got my ears done at a motorcycle show. The company was "Now Hear This" and the lady who did my ears has years of experience doing ear plugs.

I had three sets made: regular ear plugs that I use in the shop, ear plugs with speaker transducers installed with a mono plug that I use for my intercom/scanner when going on motorcycle rides or to NASCAR races, and ear plugs that accept my Sure E3 MP3 ear bud speakers. I use these anytime I listen to my MP3 player.

If you get a good, custom ear mold set, they provide as much hearing protection as the best fit you can get from foam plugs - even with speakers installed in them. But, you must have someone that knows what they are doing. I had my first set of custom ear buds done at a race shop and they were $175 of crap.

The lady who did such a good job on mine was Marilyn at www.plugup.com. She is an audioologist and knows her stuff.

Custom ear molds are a bit expensive, but like all of our tools, the higher quality stuff just costs more. Once you damage your hearing, it won't come back, so money well spent in my oppinion.
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

garybdavis, those look good. i knoiw the ones that came with my new MP3 player are garbage and they have 3 diferent ruber options you can interchange with the speaker to make them fit. fit, yea right i picked up a pair at the $ store for $1.08 and they are a better fit. go figure.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

headphones at work

I'm not too keen on having any kind of head phones on when I'm working. Yes, I do have a radio playing while I work, but I would also like to hear whats going on around me at all times. If I've got a set of headphones blasting in my ear how am I going to hear the other guys screaming in agony when he sets himself on fire or drops an axle on his foot, or some other kind of emergency??? Dave
        If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
        Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

I like the earphones under the earmuffs so the grinder doesn't drown out the music
          welding...its awsome

Comment

dabar39, just do what i do when i'm driveing. only use one ear to listen and leve the other one open to here around you.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

I play my radio while I `am working if you can`t hear turn it up!

Inferno Forge

Chris

Comment

I use head band ear phones under my helmet. The wire goes down my back and into the player in my pants pocket. One of those small clamp type paper clips holds the wire to my shirt collar on the back which stops the wire from falling around the front when I bend over.

I've tried lots of brands and most are uncomfortable after a couple of hours. The plastic band that connects the speakers presses behind the ears. I've now settled on "KOSS SPORTA-PRO" which don't have that problem because they have a foam pad just above the ears to hold them in place. They also allow in just about all outside noise which may or may not be good for you depending on your situation.

Comment

At work i turn up the radio louder than anyone else, but you have to be able to hear people around you...anything can happen. After the guy behind you almost breaks the valve off the acetylene cylinder, you dont want to lift up your lid and realize you are the only guy in the shop because everyone else got the f@ck out of there before it went off like a toprpedo. Don't listen to earphone/earplug music in the shop or in the field even in your garage for that matter...you won't hear your wife yelling that the house is on fire. Just crank the boom-box.

Comment

Question?

Those of you that use a portable mp3 player while welding-

Will HF start damage them? I had to retire a grinder last week that I assume was damaged by my welder, I'd hate for it to kill my mp3 player too.
                    SYNCROWAVE 200
                    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
                    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
                    Makita Everything else
                    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
                    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
                    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post
                      Those of you that use a portable mp3 player while welding-

Will HF start damage them?
                      It doesn't seem to. Lots of guys use them at work tigging aluminum all day and so far so good.
                      at home:
                      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                      2008 Suitcase 12RC
                      Spoolmatic 30A
                      WC-24
                      2009 Dynasty 200DX
                      2000 XMT 304
                      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                      Sold:MM130XP
                      Sold:MM 251
                      Sold:CST 280

at work:
                      Invision 350MP
                      Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

10-Roger-4 , consider me rockin when weldin from now on.
                        SYNCROWAVE 200
                        Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
                        Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
                        Makita Everything else
                        2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
                        "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
                        USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Comment

Working...
                        X