Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

solid wire or flux core

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• solid wire or flux core

Just would like to get input on weather to us solid wire or flux core. Which is cheaper or better to use? Does the flux core have problems like stick after sitting around for a whileand gets damp? I'm looking at buying a miller 210 for the farm. What are the quality differences between the miller, hobart and lincoln? I want to do it right the first time instead of purchasing and then regret it latter. I like this message board for ideas and the projects.
    Last edited by sparkey; 11-27-2005, 12:44 PM.

I have the MM185 which is the model the 210 was built from. I love it. Had it 6 years. I have the spoolgun which i just used about 10 minutes ago to reach up into a truck bed, with .030 solid steel wire. I use .030 solid wire and 75/25 but i am inside and don't want to mess with the flux core. Being on the farm and outside you may want a spool of flux core to use on windy days. I have a large assortment of wires to use for different jobs what ever comes in. I don't know about the comparison between a Lincoln because i bought the right one the first time. . You can't go wrong with a MM210...Bob

Comment

yeah i used to have a home depot lincoln and never had problems with flux-core and i also welded in very windy days. if you weld outside i would'nt go with gas because the wind may blow the gas away.

Comment

Would it be bad to weld with solid wire outside if the wind isn't too bad or is that a no-no all around?

Comment

With no wind, sure solid is okay outside, you may have to flow some more gas though. Flux core tends to burn hotter so it tends to warp lighter sheet metal. It's just the thing for welding heavier guage stuff and cold rolled, in my case up to 3/16 (Cricket XL!, ohhh, if only Santa would bring me a DVI!). Don't let the solid wire get damp though. It'll rust and cause nothing but grief, it took me some time and a few spoiled rolls to figure this out...duhhhh. Just take the roll out and keep it wrapped up in the dry when not in use. The flux core doesn't seem to mind the damp though.

Comment

What about penetration? Would your average stick welder penetrate farther than say a DVI on flux core? (Waiting for my DVI too getting one this summer )

Comment

I've welded outdoors with solid wire and gas, but it's a pain. We have a lot of days with no wind here, but it's amazing how often some little tiny gust will blow your gas away just enough to throw some porosity into your weld. I keep flux-cored wire in my two field feeders, and solid wire in the shop feeder.

Overall, solid wire and gas is cheaper and much faster in terms of clean-up, but requires significantly cleaner metal for good results.

So they both definitely have a place in my arsenal.

I saw your other thread which mentions no longer needing the DVI, so we'll leave that alone. You will never regret having 240V available in a shop. I hope you ran it big enough for future upgrades. Did you put in a full subpanel while you were at it?

Comment

Yep, I actually still have 110 with all my outlets and just put a new box in with new 220 outlets. Speaking of which I here all different types of voltage numbers 220, 230 and 240 which really is it?

Comment

All the service I see in this part of the country or on gensets I've seen/used is 240V. (And the common wall outlet is 120V.)

If a device is listed for 220, 230, 240, or 250, it will work just fine, though, in all cases of which I am aware. Usually, your receptacles and cord caps will say 250V, to show that they are designed for AT LEAST that amount of voltage.

I think 220V is a left-over from when it WAS the voltage. Maybe one of the old guys on the East Coast knows more about that, though.

Now, 208V and 277V are another story. Those are typically legs of 3-phase systems and you will need to make sure those are properly matched because they are too far away from 240V to be used by most equipment marked 220 - 240 Volts.

Comment

Alright thanks, that clears thing up quite a bit. My relatives are were trying to tel me it was 220. And now i can prove them wrong.

Thanks again,
                    Klug

Comment

When you are talking about cored wire, I assume you are referring to self shielded or "Innershield" wire because your 210 won't have near enough output to run dual shield effectively. My advise would be to stay inside and use solid wire whenever possible around the farm. When you have to be outside, here are some things to consider: research what type of cored wire you are using carefully and taylor it to your needs; many of your more common innershield wires are NOT designed for multi-pass applications and result in a brittle weld if used for such. I would reserve the cored wire for lighter work unless you make sure to get the right stuff. Also, a little more skill is needed with cored wire when welding out of position. MOST (not all) cored wires need to be run uphill to produce a good quality weld. My personal opinion is that a good engine driven stick welder is more versatile for farm use unless you have a nice shop to work in.

Comment

Normally i use 100% .030 solid in my shop. Today i was welding outside on my neighbors truck, flux core would have been nice...Bob

Comment

flux-solid

I've got a friend that keeps flux on one of his welders just for outside work..i guess if you can afford it that would be the way to go.
                          Farris

Comment

Originally posted by fyoung
                            I've got a friend that keeps flux on one of his welders just for outside work..i guess if you can afford it that would be the way to go.
                            Farris
                            I founded the school of "You Can't Have Too Many Feeders." We are loosely affiliated with the well-known shooting college of "The Fastest Reload Is a Second Gun."

Comment

That's right

Originally posted by MAC702
                              I founded the school of "You Can't Have Too Many Feeders." We are loosely affiliated with the well-known shooting college of "The Fastest Reload Is a Second Gun."
                              I guess that's right!
                              Farris

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.