No announcement yet.

roll in boat dock

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roll in boat dock

i want to build a roll in type boat dock i have a idea on size i want to make it. it will be 4ftwide x 16ft long top rail is 1x2 rec tube and bott. rail is 1x1sq my big question is should i use 1/8 wall or go thinner with 14 ga.wall any ideas or sug.

I'm kind of new here, but is it just like an aluminum boat? how heavy is the boat? I always think of what size would work and the go up a size, just because then you know it's strong! It can always be too weak but can never be too strong

no it is just a boat pier with wheels on the front

boat dock

A few simple calcs should tell you the answer.
        Figure out what your loads are going to be, multiply by 1.5 for a safety factor and use simple Trig to determine tensile loads placed on the structure. If you need hep there on many books on this subject, and that will give you a better answer then just guessing.
        Also what material are you talking about? Stainless or regular Red Metal?
        In either case, do your homework

"Better Metalworking Through Research"

Miller Dynasty 300DX
        Miller Dynasty 200DX
        Miller Spectrum 375 extreme
        Miller Millermatic Passport

Miller Spot Welder
        Motor-Guard stud welder

Smith, Meco, Oxweld , Cronatron, Harris, Victor, National, Prest-o-weld, Prest-o-lite, Marquette, Century Aircraft, Craftsman, Goss, Uniweld, Purox, Linde, Eutectic, and Dillon welding torches from 1909 to Present. (58 total)

Have you decided on the type of wheels/ hubs/ axles you'll be using for this?