No announcement yet.

Air compressor tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might want to add a releif valve of some sort,since you already built one,in the heat of the day the pressure will increse.

Comment

what type of relief valve?... like the one to drain the water?.. or just a pull pin one?.. i'm not quite shure i know what your talkin about. I need to know tho if you say the pressure will increse.
      Jorgensen MFG.
      Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
      argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
      www.ehhitch.com

Comment

One of the pull pin type should work fine. Also you might check out some of the farm supply stores in your area as they usually stock different size air tanks that may work in your case.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmxin^Bjorn View Post
          kay .. guys i did it and it worked . i used sch40 pipe with a 5'' id and ressesed the caps in the pipe and it works fine i've got it up to 200psi and no problems . oh and hey skid steer steve .. how do u become a pressure vessel welder if you don't try it. .. no offence or anything.
          Buy getting your welds tested and certified before pressurizing. Also when doing a hydrostatic test you always fill the vessel completely with water befroe testing. All pressure vessels are tested at 2.5 times their maximun operating pressure buy law.

I didn't notice how you capped the ends but I am hoping you got proper welded caps so the ends would be convexed. I have done welding on some pressure vessels but they are never around where people are and I would never build a pressure tank for a vehicle even if it is an off road only vehicle due to the fact that if you were in an accident and the tank failed, and this could be no fault of the welds at this point but due to the fact that it isn't certified and it hurt someone because of the tank failure,, well just say major law suit. I know of someone this happened to and he lost his house over it. As I understand US and Can both require all pressure vessels including air tanks to be certified and have a tag confiming this on the vessel.

If you were building a tank to expand you air capacity for your shop and can have the tank back out off the way or in another room, and you are a good welder I would say go for it but to have the tank in close proximity of people and even out on the open road, no way.
          Last edited by jamlit; 02-01-2007, 03:50 PM.
          Little Fabrication
          sigpic
          Miller DVI2
          Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Thermodynamics cutmaster 38
          HF 130 tig

Third Class Power Engineer

Comment

actually ABSA states that it is only 1.5 times the working pressure but hey if it holds at 2.5 all the power to ya.
            trail blazer 302
            hypertherm plasma
            millermatic 251
            high feq. arc starter
            suit case (extreme 12vs)
            o/a torches
            way to many other tools to list

Comment

I could be wrong, but I was sure that the ASME required 2.5 times. This could be just for boilers. I will check my code books.
              Little Fabrication
              sigpic
              Miller DVI2
              Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
              HF 130 tig

Comment

i might be wrong too there are so many different sections and subsections that its hard to remember if you dont work with it often enough.
                trail blazer 302
                hypertherm plasma
                millermatic 251
                high feq. arc starter
                suit case (extreme 12vs)
                o/a torches

Comment

where are ya from jamlit ?
                  trail blazer 302
                  hypertherm plasma
                  millermatic 251
                  high feq. arc starter
                  suit case (extreme 12vs)
                  o/a torches

Comment

its kinda like saying i'm not allowed to build trailer hitches and trailers then cz i'm not a certified welder, fabricator or engineer. I've built lots of stuff thats bears weight and none of it has failed, it's jus practice.. so i trust my welds enough for my tank .if it blows up then i know i f**ked up and will have to try again . Our tire machine at work has a pressure vessel and it is capped with flat 1/8 plate and it doesent have a tag on it :it was made in the states , in the guide tho it says it holds up to 250psi safley.... the actual tube is made out of 1/8 wall 6'' tube and is basic the thing i copyed but using sch 40 tube .
                    Jorgensen MFG.
                    Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
                    argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
                    www.ehhitch.com

Comment

Originally posted by arc View Post
                      where are ya from jamlit ?
                      From the eastcoast, Nova Scotia. A small town called Truro. I am a third class power engineer and maintenence. at a local sawmill. Yourself.
                      Little Fabrication
                      sigpic
                      Miller DVI2
                      Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                      HF 130 tig

Comment

why not just go with one of thease ??
                        http://www.ultimate-air.com/
                        looks cool too
                        i would defenetly put in a relief valve, you never know what some one might try to fill it from or with, supose some one uses a nitrgen tank to refillit for ya on the trail, that could get realy ugly. if it has a relief valve no biggy, pop-hisss all is still good and safe. just because you dont intend to fill it over 150psi dosent mean it can never get filled over that. happens all the time
                        should'nt take more than a few minuits to drill a hole weld on one more fitting and screw in the valve.
                        a drain would also be a good idea as it will acumulate water as its filled, used, and refilled. again only take a few more minuits and its done right.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

im from alberta red deer area. journey man red seal and b pressure welder. running my own rig for now.
                          trail blazer 302
                          hypertherm plasma
                          millermatic 251
                          high feq. arc starter
                          suit case (extreme 12vs)
                          o/a torches

Comment

The problem with Canadian pressure certs is that there is no standardized testing. To my knowledge, in Alberta you have to have your B Pressure before you can certify for any other pressure tickets. In BC, you can get a PWP( Pre-quallified Welding Procedure) for TIG root fill cap on pipe, or a downhand MIG ticket, without having a cert for stick root fill cap. When I was working in Liverpool NS at Brooklyn Energy, The testing for certs in that province seemed to be different once again. All I'm saying is there should be better control on pressure welding.
                            A fact: The hydraullic cylinders used for attachments for heavy equipment aren't welded by pressure certified welders, yet they opperate at 3000-7000 psi. I've worked with good B pressure welders from up north, that couldn't fix a 0.095" wall hydraullic tube that had a leak in the weld at the fitting.

What I would like to know is if there are any stipulations or laws as to the difference between low pressure welds and high pressure welds in Alberta?
                            Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
                            Esab PCM 1000

Comment

Working...
                            X