Phase converters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phase converters

Has anyone used a phase converter to run a three phase machine off of single phase 230V? I just found out about phase converters today, and I am wondering if they work for high amp draw applications such as welders, and also if they offer the same benifits as using regular 3 phase over single phase.

Jonny
    Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
    Esab PCM 1000

Just make sure you get one that is rated for the draw you are going to be putting on it. I would recommend oversizing a bit if you are putting inductive loads on them to make sure you have enough starting power. When I used to work in the printing industry we ran a few medium size machines in one of the smaller press rooms on a motor style phase generator 2 shifts a day. They were fairly high demand machines with electro-hydraulic systems and other motor demands. We never had any major problems. Just the usual wear and tear stuff. I have some friends that have some mills/lathes that they run on them simply because they don't have 3phase, or it is not economically prudent to bring it in when they only need it a few times a week. The one thing to keep in mind when using them it that you have to remember to turn them on before you turn your machine on.

Hope that helps. I don't have any specific technical data for you, but I've used them a lot.

SSS
    Last edited by SkidSteerSteve; 01-25-2007, 01:35 PM.
    Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
    Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
    1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Comment

i run my cosen industrial bandsaw useing a phase converter.. it works Great!
      Jorgensen MFG.
      Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
      argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
      www.ehhitch.com

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'm helping a friend with his decision on buying a converter to run his equipment. Mostly welding machines and machining tools and such.

Jonny
        Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
        Esab PCM 1000

Comment

Working...
        X