Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pipe Templates

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Templates

WELL THERE IS NOT NO SHADE HERE IN TX. THE LAST COUPLE DAYS. I BEEN MAKING SMALL DIAMETER PIPE TEMPLATES 90/45 DEGREES JUST TO SPEED UP PRODUCTION OUT IN THE FIELD. METAL GEEK HAS A PRETTY GOOD PROGRAM THAT WILL PRINT OUT THE PATTERNS , I TRANSFERED THEM TO PIPE WRAP MATERIAL , WORKS REALLY WELL.
    STILL CONFUSED ON HOW TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO DO A 45 SADDLE PIPE TO PIPE. DAN HOPPER HAS A SITE THAT MAYBE EXPLAINS IN PHILADELPIA LAWYER MATH OR ROCKET SCIENTIST MATH. I GUESS I WILL STICK TO THE CUT TIL IT FITS WAY. I KNOW YOU CAN BUY THESE TEMPLATES AT YOUR LOCAL WELDING SUPPLY,BUT THE WEATHER IS NOT COOPERATING TO DO ANYTHING OUTSIDE , IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS LET IT RIP!NEVER TO OLD TO LEARN NEW TRICKS OF THE TRADE
    SAN ANTONE I AM IN THE WHARTON AREA.

Wharton, huh? I know where that is. Have family in the Lake Jackson area.

On pipe 45's I just use a saw and make a 45 cut on the pipe, then just take a round notch out of the long ends. As long as it does not have to be perfect, that will work fine. Sometimes there is a gap that will take some filling. Precise placement can be difficult with this way, but it can be done.
    Attached Files

Comment

TubeMiter works good too. You can download it from the following link:

Tube Miter Link

Hope this helps...

Comment

You could buy a Joint jigger, its like a vise that holds the pipe at what angle you want and it has a drill chuck where you attach a hole saw of desired size
        then power it with a hand drill. They work well on thin pipe and on thick pipe if you have a good hole saw. but most hole saws are only good for mild steel or aluminum. dont last long on stainless. If you would like one you can find them alot of places ebay has them usually sell for about 65.00

Comment

One way is to hold the pipe you are saddling 45 deg. to the base pipe, using a pair of divders and a soap stone attached to it, follow the contour of the base pipe with pointed leg of the divider while marking the saddle pipe with the soap stone leg. this works with same sized pipes or different sized pipes, and different angles. after you make one miter you can transfer that to template materials using center lines.

Comment

Get a pipemaster, works for any angle you want.

Pipemaster website

Ed

Comment

Now thats slick.

Comment

You could use the cut until it fits and then wrap it with paper and cut it out.....then transfer the pattern to some sheet metal etc.......I saw that one on Xtreme 4x4.
                Good Luck,
                Mike

Comment

That Pipemaster is slick, but a 12 inch is 700 clams.....I have used the 2 inchers, they are handy.....too bad you can't just buy a bag of pixie dust or something and go wala....can anyone post pictures of the divider way???? I am still kinda unclear on what was written, I once bought on of those all purpose wraparound gizmos, but lacked the grey matter to figure it out. Thanks, Paul

Comment

Here's a template maker that I built. Print out the 'ruler' to measure your tubing, then enter the tubing sizes. The printed ruler compensates for the scaling of your printer.
                    http://nanosleep.dyndns.org/tubing/

Hope this helps
                    -Andy

Comment

chop sawing/ notching tubing

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/tech/billavista/Links

Try the Link.......lots of good info including what angles to cut depending on tubing size.

Pirate 4X4 has lots of good stuff (even if your not a 4X4 guy)

Comment

Try "The Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook" by Thomas W. Frankland
                        ISBN0-02-802500-8. It's got tons of great information in a little 3x5 in book.
                        I'd be interested to see that program that will print out templates though especially since I have to do some pipe welding in the near future.

Comment

Pipe cut outs

Try this site plate 'n' sheet developement

Comment

Another great reference book is The Pipe Fitters Blue Book by W.V. Graves.
                            ISBN 0-9708321-2-5.

Use it along with The Pipe Fitter's and Pipe Welder's Handbook that Aircraft Welder recommended and there isn't anything that you cannot do with a piece of pipe. The two books compliment each other very well and are very useful.

Comment

Template online software

If you need printable templates go to

http://www.harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php

and they will create a printable template

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.