Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

how to bend square tube without bender

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to bend square tube without bender

Hello

I just found this web site I would like to share, I have not tried them yet, But I will soon.

http://www.quickfab.ca/

Thanks for the link.

Jonny

Comment

Interesting site.

Comment

Good on

hey im going to see there prices on shiping but good find keep them coming.

Comment

Really nice of you to post that link. My next trip to home, I will probably have a box from them waiting.

Again thanks,

Jerry

Comment

It sounds like the technique that I used to fab up the frame rails on my car.

you just cut partway through the tube from one end and cut out a triangle with the angle that you want the bend. Then you just bend the tube and weld the butt joint, and you have a bent square tube at the exact angle that you want.

This technique could be a little tricky to do on slow radius bends though, but I'm sure it could be done.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I am going to see if they have a dealer near me

Comment

Good one, Thanx.

Comment

Tube Benders

I'm into year 4 of my shop build out, and what I hope will be my part-time retirement income.
                  Year 1 - Millermatic 135
                  Year 2 - Miller Dynasty 200DX
                  Year 3 - Miller 625 plasma cutter, TorchMate 4X4 X-Y CNC plasma cutting
                  table
                  Year 4 - pipe, metal, and scroll working tools
                  (http://www.shopoutfitters.com/)
                  Year 5 - Lathe and/or lathe/drill/mill

My point being - yes you can buy pre-bent metal at a premium, or you can buy a tool to do it - look at long term Return On Investment (ROI).

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by bpickell View Post
                    This technique could be a little tricky to do on slow radius bends though, but I'm sure it could be done.

Kerf bending? Common woodworking technique to get slow bends. Would leave a poorly prepared joint for welding, 'though, and probably a slightly faceted bend.

Comment

good link

thank for the info

Comment

more info

I bought a bunch of 1 90 deg (I have an inventory of 1 sq. tubing wont go to waste) Arranging them (see pic) you can make things you cant with a bender. Im not connected to this company, just sharing info with the brethren.
                        Attached Files

Comment

they could defenetly speed things up for many aplications if you dont mind MIGing them up and dont want pointed corners. cool idea though.

Comment

Originally posted by gunruner View Post
                            I bought a bunch of 1 90 deg (I have an inventory of 1 sq. tubing wont go to waste) Arranging them (see pic) you can make things you cant with a bender.
                            I would love to see some pics of things you make with the elbows.
                            Thanks

Comment

Used a 4" pipe to bend 1/2 stuff and then moved to a 25lb lifting weight to bend the 3/4 stuff. Worked great, no heat either just elbow grease.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.