Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Announcement Module
No announcement yet.

Tank fittings

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
Conversation Detail Module
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tank fittings

    I am new to this web site this is my first welding question. I am going to make a gasoline tank out of steel, and I am looking for a supplier of fittings to weld in. 3/8” ˝” 90s, 2” fill tube, vent outlet and returns. I been using black pipe and making my own custom ones on the lathe. There might be a supplier I don’t know about?


  • #2
    I have actually found a lot of those specific parts at farm/ranch specialty stores. Just a thought. SSS


    • #3
      What you need are called "tank flanges", they have a lip that is wider than the hole, allows you to drill/cut a hole for it to fit, but the weld goes outside where the flange sets flat on solid steel. Using regular fittings, weld in the hole, is a source of potential future problems.

      Here's a picture of a couple machined aluminum fittings, they are all I have on the computer right now, you can see what I'm talking about. Steel ones are similar, only forged, and are much cheaper. I usually get them from a local machine/fab shop. I think McMaster-Carr has them in their online catalogue
      Attached Files


      • #4
        Thank you for the response. I found them at McMaster-Carr as you suggested, funny I deal with them and find them a very good company, never thought to look there. Thanks for the pictures of the flanges you sent they look good. Is that John Deere Equipment in the background?

        Could not find “farm/ranch specialty stores” not even in yellow pages, I guess because I am from New York.

        I have to make a 80 gal gas tank out of 10ga steel for an off road construction equipment. I was making my own fittings it will be nice to order them.

        Thanks Again


        • #5
          Originally posted by gunruner View Post
          Is that John Deere Equipment in the background?
          Hey, good eye!!! Must be a farm boy, huh?

          Here's the big pic, one in the foreground is a JD480 Fieldlift, serial # puts it very early, about 1966, just dropped a new engine in this one. It was a green one, that's why you see the paint on the oil filter in the previous pic. Background is a Liftmaster, JD chassis.
          Attached Files


          • #6
            Been fixing and running John Deere Construction equipment since early 1970s not to familiar with the Agriculture line but they use same engines. JD was always good equipment.



            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.