Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winstall.exe - helpp!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Winstall.exe - helpp!!

    Hi everebody
    My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

    but...

    there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

    I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

    help??
    Thanks a lot

  • #2
    Try Ad Aware which can be gotten at AdwareAlert.com

    Hope this helps,

    Jerry

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by alisaselez View Post
      Hi everebody
      My computer was infected with a trojan virus today, from a link from someone on msn messenger. I ran AVG Free and the virus went to the vault, which i have deleted and all seems to be running fine now. however, i've had to vault it three times. when I restart, the virus seems to reappear. but my computer is running fine.

      but...

      there is an icon on my desktop titled winstall.exe which when scanned doesn't contain a virus, but I have just had a quick scan thru some stuff on the internet and get the idea that its a nasty little program that lets other nasty stuff infect my computer I can't delete it, and in fact, am not sure if this is accurate and am a little worried its an important windows file i shouldnt be deleting at all.

      I've now installed Avira Antivir as well, as a double up safety precaution, but no spyware detection programs as yet (I'm not even sure if I'm wording that correctly..)

      help??
      Thanks a lot
      Try this site, I think it will help.

      http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic22402.html

      Actually, I had this same virus a while back and used SmitFraudFix to get ride of it in about 5 minutes.

      http://siri.geekstogo.com/SmitfraudFix.php
      Last edited by MNellis; 12-17-2006, 12:35 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        I have the same problem with my computer but there has been nothing I can do about it. I tryed to get rid of it you should take it to a computer guy or even phone them
        Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

        Ryan

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
          I have the same problem with my computer but there has been nothing I can do about it. I tryed to get rid of it you should take it to a computer guy or even phone them

          Did you try the SmitFraudFix link that I posted?

          Comment


          • #6
            my computer is messed I tryed to remove it but it wont complete the download, same with when I run an anti virus?
            Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

            Ryan

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
              my computer is messed I tryed to remove it but it wont complete the download, same with when I run an anti virus?
              Try booting your computer in "Safe Mode" then do the download. Then, perform the download and print the instructions before following the instructions.

              Comment


              • #8
                SPAM, Read the chick's name and the 1st posting....Bob
                Bob Wright

                Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                  SPAM, Read the chick's name and the 1st posting....Bob
                  Yea, you're right. The same person posted in about 5 different msg boards that I've visited recently.

                  I should have caught the name thing as well.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Spyware, AV & firewalls

                    Welding is my hobby, my bread is buttered working in information security.

                    If your hard disk is erased by a trojan - is the loss equal to or worth less then the free ware you were using to protect your data?

                    Everyone needs at a minimum of three layers of security on their computer:
                    1) a firewall - Zone Alarm offers a great free vesion
                    2) Anti-Spyware - Spy Sweeper is by far the best - spybot and adaware
                    do NOT cut it - buy Spy Sweper
                    3) Anti-Virus - Get McAfee (I used to work with McAfee), or Symantec -
                    once again freeware is worth what you pay for it.

                    Sparkin'

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X