plasma cutter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plasma cutter

I am thinking of buying a plasma cutter, currently still using band saw, grinder and torch. looking to step up any good recomendations? want to cut at least 1/2 inch steel. How good are the ones with built in compressors or should I use my externial compressor? Thanks
    sigpichttp://www.sharpsiron.com

I say go for the plasma cutter, You still have a good set of torches ifneeded, but you will be able to do alot more work and with less time spent on cleaning the metal you cut.
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Comment

I've spent a fair amount of time talking to the sales dude at airgas and he strongly recommended the hypotherm plazma cutters, because that is the only thing hypotherm does. he said to make sure you have a compressor that will put out 60 PSI or better and to make sure you use some sort of air dryer. Hope that helps
      Gotta weld

Comment

I have a Thermadyne 75xl plasma cutter and really like it. Get the stand off for the tip no matter which one you buy. It will save you a lot problems will your learn your machine.

Jerry

Comment

I bought a Miller Spectrum 375 on a spur of the moment basis. It is a great machine, but I wish I had spent the extra money and bought a 625. The 375 is great, but I wish I had a little more cutting capacity. I'm going to buy a 625 for the shop and put the 375 on the truck with the new Trailblazer 302 when I get it soon.

Bryce
          BB Farm Supply
          Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC

Comment

I have the Thermal Dynamics 38. Absolutely love this machine. IMO it has the most comfortable torch out there.

If your looking to cut .500", make sure you get a machine rated for at least
            .625". It will cost a little more, but less abuse on the machine.

Comment

I have the miller 375, which is too small for what you are wanting to do. I haven't had any trouble out of my rig in the four years I've been running it. I would second the issue of having a good compressor to drive it and an extra filter/dryer. I run a two stage / 80 gal compressor (SCFM, um a bunch ) in the shop with a refrigerant based dryer system. Over kill for just a plasma, yes, but I spent too many years being under powered on air and made sure this shop was set up well. Happy hunting! SSS
              Bobcat 250, MM 210, Syncrowave 180, Spectrum 375
              Cat 242B Skid Steer, Challenger (Cat/Agco) MT275
              1 Thessalonians 4:11-12

Comment

Originally posted by smokingloves View Post
                I've spent a fair amount of time talking to the sales dude at airgas and he strongly recommended the hypotherm plazma cutters, because that is the only thing hypotherm does. he said to make sure you have a compressor that will put out 60 PSI or better and to make sure you use some sort of air dryer. Hope that helps
                We have a hyportherm 1000 at work we get all the parts at praxair
                If you do buy a hyp I'll post all the part #'s for you Not a bad machine I like it.Now having said that at home I have a miller 2050 this also is not a bad machine. If I had to choose well HMMMMMMMMMMMM I dont know.

Comment

I just got a Hyperthem 600 yesterday... AMAZING!

Comment

of all of the plasma cutters i've used, i liked thermal dynamics and esab. i woln't get one with an internal compressor. they seem to have more problems after alot of use. kind of like the compressor ain't big enough or tough enough or something. persnally i like a victor torch. call me old fashoned.

Comment

I have a Hypertherm 1250, I run it on a cnc shape cutter. The shape cutter’s software tracks the amount of plunges, and inches cut. I can cut at least 250-feet, with over 200 plunges before seeing any change in the quality of cut.
                      I learned the hard way; you need dry air, and a good filter, if cutting very much.

Here are some pictures of the air dryer I made, an engineer friend ran the numbers for me, said this system will work here in the North West, but on our hottest of days I should drop a block of ice in the water cooler. This system will not work in the hotter climates.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Difference in temperature. You can see how just tap water really cools the air.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Doesn't condensate water build up in the bottom of your intercooler coil. I didn't see a drain?

Comment

Originally posted by tsalagi View Post
                            of all of the plasma cutters i've used, i liked thermal dynamics and esab. i woln't get one with an internal compressor. they seem to have more problems after alot of use. kind of like the compressor ain't big enough or tough enough or something. persnally i like a victor torch. call me old fashoned.
                            I agree, I use my victors more than i do the plasma, but the rest of the guys in the shop complain because all we have is the 375. I rarely use the plasma unless im cutting really thin plate

Bryce
                            BB Farm Supply
                            Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by aintlifegrate View Post
                              Doesn't condensate water build up in the bottom of your intercooler coil. I didn't see a drain?
                              Yes, it sure does ! At the bottom of the copper coils I have a “T” with a street L, and a hydraulic bulkhead fitting with a valve on the end. When I’m done with the compressor I drain everything, the valves on the after cooler, motor guard system, and holding tank. Then I open the valve to the copper coils. When I start the compressor the valve on the coils is the last one to be shut, this allows all the condensation to be blown out of the bottom of the coils!

Comment

Working...
                              X