Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody using a cordless grinder?

Hey fellas,

I've seen DeWalt's cordless 18V grinder a lot lately and am considering buying one. I keep two grinders on hand (one with a brush and one with a grinder wheel) and there seems to be plenty of times I need one that the cordless thing would work great.

What do y'all think?
    Triggerman

Ammonia refrigeration tech
    Trailblazer 302 (yes, it's new)
    Millermatic 180 w/Autoset
    CST-250
    HF-15 High frequency
    XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun
    Victor O/A, DeWalt, North mask

"A professional knows what to do. A craftsman knows why."

I might be a newbie, but in all honistly I dont agree with cordless powertools. I think if its not on a cord that its more likely to break. The cord might be a tick off but hey with a cord your garenteed power aslong as a fuse doesn't blow ( my teacher told me that because I was really asking the same question). But im sure it would work just fine. I was actualyl thinking it would work better then a cord grinder, Mind you the charging would be a big tick off!
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

Comment

I havent used one, but I do always have a couple of grinders laying around to trip over, I actually havent even seen the cordless versions yet. If you try one let us know how they work out.
      sigpichttp://www.sharpsiron.com

Comment

I have had a chance to use one but I'm considering getting one. I have the advantage of having a dozen 18v Dewalt batteries in my garage so if a battery dies I just swap it for a good one.

Comment

I have an entire stable of DeWalt cordless tools, drill, saws ( circ and recip ) that get used an awful lot. I've done well with batteries as well, but I do make sure they all get used evenly.

I wouldn't mind a cordless grinder as I'm sure having one would be handy. Often times I need to run outside and cut up some lumber with a quick cut and who wants to run a cord for a 3 minute job. Same for the drill, they are handy for sure.

A grinder would be like the saw, heavy usage on the battery, but if ya get a kit woth 2 and cycle them off you should be ok. I know guys who frame up custom houses and use nothig but cordless tools. They have a small generator just to charge batteries. For them it is a necessity as many jobsites have no commerical power.

Comment

Thanks guys

I think I will get one and see. They're $59 plus shipping brand new w/o a battery. Batteries I've got. Probably 8 or 9. I keep them charged on the truck and when one dies: a quick trip to Grainger and I'm back up to strength. I do A LOT of work where cords are a big pain. I'm also wondering whether there will be a difference in how long cutting blades last. I'll be letting you know.

Thanks
            Triggerman

CST-250
            HF-15 High frequency
            XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun

Comment

A couple of years ago I bought a Dewalt 5 piece 18 volt fat boy kit. It included the 1/2" hammer drill, 6 1/2" circular saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, and of course a flashlight. I used all the tools every day except for the flashlight and jigsaw. I bought the kit exclusively for use in fabricating aluminum at work. I built tanker trailers from the bottom up,(10,000 gallons) and the tools were used every day for well over a year. Drilling 6061 T6, 1/2" thick, one battery pack would last in the drill for 40 1/4" pilot holes, 40 1/4" - 1/2" step drill holes, (sizing them up) and about 10 or so uses reaming the 1/2" holes to 11/16" with a taper reamer. I was impressed. The drill also ran hole saws up to 4" cutting through 3/8" 6061. I used the circular saw for cutting plate as well as grooving out weld joints and stop starts, and it performed flawlessly using a non-ferrous metal 40 tooth blade. The biggest advantage was not having to crawl through the manholes in the tanks with power cords or air lines. I had to replace one of the battery packs after 16 months, but never had any problems with the tools. I support the use of cordless tools in the metal working industry, however I don't have experience using cordless grinders.
              Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
              Esab PCM 1000

Comment

cordless grinder

the cordless grinder is actually ment to be a cut off tool. If you use it as grinder the batteries last about an hour. But if you use it with a cut offf wheel or a wire wheel I found that the batteries last about 6-7 hours.

Comment

Great info.....

Thanks Mitch.
                  Triggerman

CST-250
                  HF-15 High frequency
                  XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun

Comment

I'd go for it. Cordless power tools are a great convenience, and DeWalt is a great brand.

Bryce
                    BB Farm Supply
                    Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC

Comment

not good 4 me

ive used them in the field dont last. like 2 or 3 8in welds and its over.i used it for a wire brush.thought one less cord for my helper 2 cut.i just run a cord again .need 2 run leads anyway.

Comment

Helper?

Helper? What's that?
                        Triggerman

CST-250
                        HF-15 High frequency
                        XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun

Comment

Using the heck out of my cordless grinder.

I bought a DeWalt corldless grinder and it seems like I'll never run out of new ways to use it. I am already making plans to buy another one soon. The handiest by far was using it to cut some steel by the headlights of my truck. If I hadn't had it, that little five minute job would have been greatly extended by running a 100' cord over to the company shop, unlocking the door, turning off the alarm and then undoing each of those things after the cut was made. Just that one use probably paid for half of the cost of the grinder in labor savings. Having a little $75 tool handy saved me about twenty minutes of labor on O/T. Saved me the headache, the company the overhead and the customer the labor by buzzing into the yard, yanking a piece of C-channel from the rack, zip-zip-toss and gone. Last Friday, I grabbed it out of the truck to cut one bolt head from a shaft coupling guard. Same principle. I've had my cordless grinder just about two months now and it has probably paid for itself several times over. What a great gadget! Thanks DeWalt!
                          Last edited by triggerman; 03-04-2007, 10:50 PM. Reason: typo
                          Triggerman

CST-250
                          HF-15 High frequency
                          XR15 w/Push-Pull Gun

Comment

I agree. It's a battery hog for bigger jobs and lacks the guts for serious grinding, but it does what it's designed to do very well and very handily. It definitely stays in the truck.

Comment

wouldnt be without my dewalt cordless grinder, best thing since.......

I also wouldnt be without my 7.5" wildcat either

where are you finding them for $59???????

id buy two for that price, then I wouldnt have to change wheels so much
                              past welding instructor
                              CWI
                              business owner

Comment

Working...
                              X