No announcement yet.

Fixture to paint fiberglass tanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "spinny" part? Must be the highly technical name of that component, huh?

Anything that makes painting suck less, I'm for. I hate painting.

Comment

Spinny was as technical as my brain could get at the moment. The spinny part of the jig is the tube that holds the the top and bottom brackets and rotates form vertical to horizontal, hence spinny. More pic's to follow later today.

Comment

These are the sliders to adjust for the difference in tank height between the 10" and 14" tanks

Comment

Finally going from a pile of parts to finished product (almost). On the cart you see all the pieces. now the assembly starts. First I tacked the 2 x 4 upright tube to the bottom 2 x 2. then tack on the diagonal supports, weld complete. Then tack and weld the rest of the base. Now I test the all important Spinny arm with top and bottom brackets installed. Works GREAT.

Comment

Putting on the lower and upper stops. Making sure it is both plumb and and level.

Comment

Make a quick print to get the idea out of my head and on paper. It might look good in my head but after drawing it doesn't always work. This time it did. these are the latches for both positions.

Comment

Another print for the wheel mounts. Then draw them out on the steel and cut out with 6" grinder with a cutoff wheel, drill the axle holes. Assemble with the wheel adding an extra washer next to the wheel for clearance. Tack in place. Remove wheel and weld complete.

Comment

After cooling put the wheels back on and hand it off for a quick paint job while I wait for springs and shoulder screws to finish the latches.

Comment

OGD....if anyone on this planet could use a plasmacam, it's you amigo.

Does your contraption have a name?

Comment

Any issues with drilling and tapping through the weld on those 3-blade things? I would have cut them differently so two had just flat ends and one was pointed, and the welds would have been two instead of three, and off the center so as not to be the section that was drilled and tapped. But it sure looks like it didn't bother you any. Layout was simpler, but a lot more cutting, and a little more welding/grinding.

Comment

It's just 1018 steel drilled and tap no problem. Cutting was easy, set the saw at 30 degrees, set a stop 6 quick s cuts done. All 3 pieces are the same , can't put it together wrong. Plasmacam would be great, I have an ESAB Handy Plasma 550. On this job doing it by hand worked out OK only a few pieces. Besides I get paid by the hour. If they don't what to buy me more cool tools I'll just keep plugging along the old school way.

Comment

It's painted, I got the springs and the shoulder screws. Two more little stops, a couple of taped hole's and I'm done.

Comment

One latch for vertical position and one for horizontal. Springs are about 3 lb. pull. Just enough tension for solid latch action. In the next few days I'll get pic's of it in service.

Comment

Here is the fixture in action. This kid now gets 32 tanks a day painted. up from 8 without the fixture.

Comment

Looks like you should have not bothered painting it after you were finished building it.

Comment

Working...
                                X