No announcement yet.

Modifying a Drilled Hole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grab a rat-tail file and get it over with............3 minutes and your done.

Comment

Buy a new battery drill, if you don't have one you need it anyway. I use 1/2 chuck a lot and would be lost without it.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
        Buy a new battery drill, if you don't have one you need it anyway. I use 1/2 chuck a lot and would be lost without it.
        Ditto on this......Any "Heavy Metal Welder" needs a better drill !!

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Heavy Metal Welder76 View Post
          Is it possible to enlarge a drilled hole on steel with a round file? How long does it take? Unfortunately my drill is 3/8 (I am using the 3/8 bit) and the hole needs to be about 7/16 in diameter.

Maybe I am not the first person in this situation.

What I'd do: run the 3/8 inch bit about half way through the hole then lean the drill over and around. This enlarges the top and bottom of the hole leaving an hour glass shape. Then pulling the drill up and down until enough of the middle is removed for the bolt to slide through. This doesn't leave a neat hole but with the bolt in tight it doesn't show.

Comment

STEP BIT

STEP BIT

STEP BIT!!!

This is the most useful type of hole making bit I have ever used! Everyone check them out! Invest in a higher quality COBALT one (strongly suggest several sizes too, actually), it is so worth it. A few weeks ago I was ridiculously lucky to come across a like-new condition GREENLEE 3 pc. set at a yard sale...the clueless seller took ten bucks for it...I nearly wet my pants! This is the Greenlee set #35884C (has their #1, #3 and #8 bits, full retail on their website is $187.09 but I've seen it elsewhere around $150, makes holes from 1/8 to 1 1/8".

I'd been using a cheaper brand step bit that wore out and a few years ago got one larger Greenlee cobalt bit which has been kicking ass and refuses to go dull on me. Now I have four top-of-the-line Greenlee cobalt step bits, plus an older "UNIBIT" (I think that's the original step bit because I've heard these type bits often called unibits)

INCREDIBLY EASY AND FAST HOLES IN STEEL UP TO SAY 1/4" THICK.

GET A (SET OF) COBALT STEP BIT(S)...I GUARANTEE YOU WILL LOVE IT!

(I am not a Greenlee or UniBit spokesperson, I just know Greenlee it supposed to be the best of the best)

Comment

Amazing how many different colors/brands of cordless, corded drills come out of the same factory ---- different exit doors for different colors.

I like Milwaukee tools - have used them for decades with excellent results. My M18 die grinder would probably do that job in a couple of seconds.
              ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
              Spectrum 875
              Diversion 180
              Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
              Miller 252
              MM 211
              CST 280
              Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDuty63 View Post
                STEP BIT

STEP BIT

STEP BIT!!!

This is the most useful type of hole making bit I have ever used! Everyone check them out! Invest in a higher quality COBALT one (strongly suggest several sizes too, actually), it is so worth it. A few weeks ago I was ridiculously lucky to come across a like-new condition GREENLEE 3 pc. set at a yard sale...the clueless seller took ten bucks for it...I nearly wet my pants! This is the Greenlee set #35884C (has their #1, #3 and #8 bits, full retail on their website is $187.09 but I've seen it elsewhere around $150, makes holes from 1/8 to 1 1/8".

I'd been using a cheaper brand step bit that wore out and a few years ago got one larger Greenlee cobalt bit which has been kicking ass and refuses to go dull on me. Now I have four top-of-the-line Greenlee cobalt step bits, plus an older "UNIBIT" (I think that's the original step bit because I've heard these type bits often called unibits)

INCREDIBLY EASY AND FAST HOLES IN STEEL UP TO SAY 1/4" THICK.

GET A (SET OF) COBALT STEP BIT(S)...I GUARANTEE YOU WILL LOVE IT!

(I am not a Greenlee or UniBit spokesperson, I just know Greenlee it supposed to be the best of the best)

I sure wish I could say the same about Greenlee -- some of their bigger AWG wire, cable strippers (e.g 1903 Model) have broken repeatedly --- have gone thru at least three of these.
                ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
                Spectrum 875
                Diversion 180
                Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
                Miller 252
                MM 211
                CST 280
                Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Crepe Myrtle Farmer View Post

I sure wish I could say the same about Greenlee -- some of their bigger AWG wire, cable strippers (e.g 1903 Model) have broken repeatedly --- have gone thru at least three of these.
                  Jeesh...it's really sad to witness the decline of quality of our American made tools. Well, I just thought they were "supposed to be" among the best. What's next? The decline and fall of my all-time favorite and heroes of tool quality and prestige, Snap-On?

Comment

Snap-on decline? Said in my best southeast texanese accent, "that's been done did."

Comment

If we are gonna hi-jack this thread let's at least get in the realm of topic ( I know....we were)
                      And that is welding a hole that has worn too big and then managing to re-size it back to original without loosing location and without the luxury of milling and such. Hand tools only

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                        ...welding a hole ...
                        Lots of those around here!

Comment

Working...
                        X