Mailbox Post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailbox Post

Recently the county re-did the traffic lights and widened the road at several of the intersections in town. As a part of the retrofit, they dug up some of the existing posts and discarded them in a dumpster. My customer thought that post that used to have the street crossing button on it would make a nice mailbox post. The Aluminum post is 4-5/8” OD with a ¼” wall, so it is sturdy. I made a plug for hole where the button used to be and welded up a half a dozen tapped holes in the post. I welded two blocks to the horizontal tube, so that my customer can attach a piece of wood to mount the mailbox. I left the horizontal tube open, to be used for newspapers. Even though there is a cast cap on top of the post, I welded a cover over it to minimize moist air getting into the post and condensing. It was a challenge TIG welding on the post because my Dynasty 200 DX welder is a little wimpy for the ¼” wall thickness. The other challenge was that the Aluminum post was heavily oxidized because of the years of exposure to the elements. I cleaned up the area of the post to be welded with a 4-1/2”stainless Steel wire wheel. I used 75% Ar 25% He mixed gas and a little preheat to extend the capacity of my little 200-amp welder.

-Don

Pictures:
    1. Pieces all cut up
    2. Tee joint
    3. Block to mount mail box
    4. Mailbox all done
    Attached Files
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Nice job

Comment

Leave it to a local government to just toss stuff like that in the trash. Wasteful. Nice purposing use of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        Leave it to a local government to just toss stuff like that in the trash. Wasteful. Nice purposing use of it.
        I agree and you should see the wimpy two inch square tube that replaced it.
        Miller Thunderbolt
        Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
        Miller Dynasty 200DX
        Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
        Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
        16" DuAll Saw
        15" Drill Press
        7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
        20 Ton Arbor Press
        Bridgeport
        Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Comment

This one they won't run over and if they do they won't get far, 5 1/2" casing 3/8" wall, the mail lady asked how I pushed those wrenches through the pipe, she is sweet so I explained.

Comment

You were probably poaching tools in my hood again, Joe. Dadgumit.

Comment

Ryan, Ok, I will bring your tools back, just wanted to use them a little while, will try to stop that in the future
              Last edited by Tinker Joe 2; 08-20-2017, 05:15 AM.

Comment

You're killin me Joe.

Comment

Working...
                X