opinions on welding on air compressor tank

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opinions on welding on air compressor tank

Working on solving my air supply issues out here in the shop and got my hands on a beast of an old Quincy compressor...needs some work (a lot actually)...but it was the big ole tank it was sitting on that I was really interested in. I have a 1965 Saylor-Beall compressor head that I know works ready to chooch. The tank is about 4 1/2' long and about 1 1/2' wide, heavy duty. Made by Saracco Tank out of Sam Francisco (which appears to no longer be in business) in 1981. Over all good in shape on the outside. The inside has a layer of schmoo on the bottom inside, no drain of course. I was able to plug it up and fill her full of air to 150 psi and she held no problem, minus a few minor leaks around some of the fittings because they're old and wore out. Dropped 45 lbs in 12 hrs. Not bad I'd say.

Opinions I'm looking for is where you guys sit on cutting off and replacing some of these fittings with brand spankin new ones. There is one big ole 3" female threaded fitting that I can't keep sealed up, finally got it to seal almost completely by using some plumbers epoxy on the threads...gonna be a huge pain to get back out too...

What I'd like to do is just cut these old ones off, prep the surface and weld new fittings on. Simple. Before I do that, going to give the inside a good cleaning out. While I'm at it, I may as well weld on a drain.

So that's another project on my list here, what say you guys?

That's up to you. I welded some fittings in my tank because I needed a few more. Hey I did it everyday...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Ryan, I have welded several over the years with out a problem, I recently got a 1932 Garden Denver, V twin with the brass cooling fins, its huge, wakes the dead when I turn it on, had a one horse electric motor, "Fair Banks" took a 5 HP with three capacitors to start if under pressure, then I decided to rebuild the compressor, ring, gaskets, inserts on the rods, hello them dare parts are expensive, what would we do without a compressor. Joe

Comment

You want our blessing
        I weld gas tanks, wheels, trailer hitches.......
        Only you know if you are good enough to make a safe weld on a compressor tank for a customer.
        On your own tank I say go for it.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Thanks for the blessing!

I was just tossing it out there for anyone to give me a heads up on something I didn't know about. That's all.

Comment

OK
            Heads up.
            Do anything that cause rust pits to form cracks you cannot see inside, and blow out large pieces of shrapnel, and it could blow all your windows out and possibly kill someone.
            The fact that the tank is old brings all the unknown to the forefront.
            I just googled air compressor tank explosion and found a bunch of stuff.
            I liked this one here and doubt my link will work.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...?v=KVP_A7eGYxw

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Yup, the link didn't work....

I actually went on an "explosion" call several years ago while on duty at the fire house. Was a body shop...was I say...happened early early in the morning and fortunately nobody was there. Blew the back wall of the shop completely out.

I have to figure a way to clean the inside for sure. It's so big that tumbling it with some shot inside is going to be difficult. I might just go ahead and drill a drain hole in the bottom so I can at least rinse the sucker out.

Comment

Copy this " KVP_A7eGYxw " and paste it in the Youtube search bar and I think you will find the video.

Comment

Yup, that worked. That guy was pretty much standing on top of that tank she let loose. Would suck pretty bad.

Comment

Hydro test it

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...r+tank+testing

Go-Booom is BAD.............

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I need to get a drain in it before I can put water in there. So I think I'll go ahead and cut the holes for the drains, clean it, maybe re-seal or paint the inside?...recommendations appreciated for that....then I can put some water in it. I'd sure rather have it mostly full of water when I pressure it up for the test. I understand that would be the preferred method any way.

Comment

I would scrap it and replace. If there is a bad spot there will be more no doubt. This is brought up in many welding forums and end result is to junk it or make something out of it. Do you feel lucky ?
                        It maybe unlikely but sad IF a family member was nearby when it blew. Not worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                          I need to get a drain in it before I can put water in there. So I think I'll go ahead and cut the holes for the drains, clean it, maybe re-seal or paint the inside?...recommendations appreciated for that....then I can put some water in it. I'd sure rather have it mostly full of water when I pressure it up for the test. I understand that would be the preferred method any way.
                          Water Soluble oil coolant concentrate (like Rustlick) fed into the compressor inlet,,,,,,,,,,,,, will coat the inner tank walls... little bit goes a LONG way
                          Also... it is fine with condensation inside the tank....
                          Probably be able to beg 1-Oz from a local machine shop

http://itwprofessionalbrands.com/dym...hp?category=94

Last edited by H80N; 06-11-2017, 07:37 AM.

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 200

Comment

Heiti....just that stuff over painting the inside?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              Heiti....just that stuff over painting the inside?
                              I would not paint the inside.... really tough to get decent inside coverage.... unless you slosh it... then how do you get it to dry........ ????

My Blue Stuff:
                              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Millermatic 200

Comment

Working...
                              X