Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
    I would tell the kid to keep it and find another guy. Just my thought...Bob
    But I think he already dug the holes!! (pun intended)

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

12' wide x 7' high...............and then adding 1x6x96" redwood to it ........................your wasting your time with 2 x2 x.120 wall tubing hanging off a post only 2 ft in the ground..............I built one for a friend that was a 14' swing and used 1-1/2"x3 rectangular tubing.........with a diagonal in the middle. The horizontal legs were .120 wall but the verticals were .188 wall........but the key is the single post , that is where you need the strength to support the gate , otherwise it will just sag over time..........his driveway was sloped so a wheel was out of the question...........we sunk a 4x4x.250 wall square tube with a welded cap on top in concrete 4-1/2 feet down with 5 feet exposed............and used HD weld on barrel hinges w/ grease fittings..........after 3 years the gate functions as it did when installed and the post is still plumb.

Comment

Should the diagonal be one piece? They added 1 diagonal but its in two pieces. Meeting at the center rail.

Comment

Doesn't matter structurally if the seam or center piece transmits the tension forces from one corner to the other. Even a cable or chain works, so it's just an aesthetics issue, for the most part.

Comment

It's fine if it's fine with the customer.

Comment

I re-welded a 6' x 12' Aluminum frame made of 2" x 1/8" square tubing for a gate with wood hanging on it for a customer. He used a 6" x 6" post set 5' in the ground with 8 bags of concrete. The bottom line is that the post tilted due to the moment load of the gate after a heavy rain. You need a bigger post deeper in the ground. A spring loaded wheel is tricky when the ground is not level. Here is a link to my post.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ing-gate-frame

-Don
              Last edited by Don52; 06-26-2017, 06:15 AM.
              Miller Thunderbolt
              Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
              Miller Dynasty 200DX
              Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
              Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
              16" DuAll Saw
              15" Drill Press
              7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
              20 Ton Arbor Press
              Bridgeport
              Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Comment

Putting a solid diagonal bottom of the post to top outside corner will unload a lot of weight off the top of the post. That's a long lever. The pickets won't do much to strengthen it. Not like plywood acting as a shear wall. 3 ft deep would be much better and is only a few minutes digging.

Comment

Working...
                X