Gate stability? Need advice asap please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gate stability? Need advice asap please

Sorry for repeat post. I posted in other discussion and figured this might be more appropriate.
    Paying $2250. for this gate. I'm putting on 1x6x8 redwood. I'm questioning the seam in the middle rail. How structurally sound is it? Tubes are 2x2 1/8.
    also wondering about doing a brushed steel finish. Will it show? Thanks in advance.

Its as sound as who welded it. But weld ground flat? or a vee weld ground flat? We just don't know from here...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Hi Bob. Weld flat. 4x4 1/4 posts, 2 ft in the ground in N Texas. I was not happy about the depth when I was told. I had requested 3'.

Comment

The wood will also stiffen it up once you install it .is it a sliding gate or swinging gate hope you have some wheels for the end if it swings will help also with the longevity of the hinges ?I would put some verticle supports in there as well but that's just me .Just to keep the gate straight once the wood gets wet it's gonna move ,heat and cold are also a factor.
        What type of hinge setup are you going to use ?

Comment

Swing gate. 12'x7' , 7" barrel hinges. I would prefer additional support as well but this dude is closed minded. Young kid. Bottom line, I haven't paid him yet so we shall see how this turns out.

Comment

Driveway has a 5% slope away from hinge post. I am really considering a wheel. Hoped to avoid it but am open to anything that'll help.

Comment

Close minded to the customer? Who's in charge here?

Comment

The customer is always right

Comment

Just my opinion but in a gate that size I'd prefer to see a diagonal brace in it. Top corner at the hinge side to the bottom outboard corner. Again just my opinion, if the corner welds don't become a problem the joint in the center bar likely won't either.

Comment

Buy a welder and make your own.
                    That's why people come here!!
                    You already recognize what not to do.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                      Buy a welder and make your own.
                      That's why people come here!!
                      You already recognize what not to do.
                      Been seriously thinking about that. Doing all of this so I can build an airplane and keep folks out. Any recommendation for a beginner?

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
                        Just my opinion but in a gate that size I'd prefer to see a diagonal brace in it. Top corner at the hinge side to the bottom outboard corner. Again just my opinion, if the corner welds don't become a problem the joint in the center bar likely won't either.
                        Agree. He in coming to my terms and replacing the center rail as well as braces, brackets, etc. Funny how quickly he came around after I told him
                        to come get the gate.

Comment

Maybe you guys should sketch out some sort of plan or design so he knows exactly what you want and you know exactly what you're agreeing to pay for.

Comment

For a diagonal brace I would use 3/8 x 2 x 2 angle at each end and use cable with a turn-buckle. That way you can adjust the gate as it sages with age. A lot of welding stores and or steel suppliers sell pre-made hinges with grease fittings.

Comment

I would tell the kid to keep it and find another guy. Just my thought...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
                              X