Utility Body Repairs/Extras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utility Body Repairs/Extras

So I picked up this beauty that I attached a picture of. Planning on making a rear work table bumper, putting 1/8" steel diamond plate on the top of the side rails, making a utility rack that goes to the front of the cab (or past it 6" or so) and re-decking the floor... Questions

Re-decking the floor I also have to put 4 cross members in, 1/4" diamond plate with 4 (4" 7.25# channel) OR 1/8-3/16 with more cross members?

Rear bumper, probably 16" deep, will be extending the frame, probably frame it out with the same 4" channel and plate it with 1/4" diamond plate.

utility rack is probably going to be all 2"x11ga square tube

let me know your thoughts, it's going to be my new welding rig right now I still just do it for side jobs/extra money but don't plan on getting rid of this truck for a while. Let me know your thoughts

i will I'll also be getting the truck painted the same color it is now so it looks a bit more professional and not a pos lol

1/4" decking and 4" channel cross members sound like serious overkill for a utility body floor for me but I don't know what you have planned to do on that floor. Keep in mind that whatever weight you put in the body reduces the available payload. I built a dump box on a 3/4 ton truck and used 1/8 or less diamond plate with 2" x2" x 1/8" square tube at 16" for cross members. We used it for about 30 years until it rusted out. It really depends on how your floor will get used versus how much extraneous weight you are willing to carry around for the life of the truck/body.

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
      1/4" decking and 4" channel cross members sound like serious overkill for a utility body floor for me but I don't know what you have planned to do on that floor. Keep in mind that whatever weight you put in the body reduces the available payload. I built a dump box on a 3/4 ton truck and used 1/8 or less diamond plate with 2" x2" x 1/8" square tube at 16" for cross members. We used it for about 30 years until it rusted out. It really depends on how your floor will get used versus how much extraneous weight you are willing to carry around for the life of the truck/body.
      Yes I have come to agree with the point you made. Based on the look of the truck it has already be re-decked but it was just layer over top of the rusted out crap. I may take your advice and do 1/8 for the bed with some crossmemebers from tube or channel. May still do the bumper in 1/4" so I don't have to reinforce it. Thank you for the input!

Comment

You might want to consider your work deck you are adding to the back. I know floor plate looks nice but it is a pain in the ass to actually work on. Smooth plate is a lot easier to keep things lined up on and if you plan on working on it. It will inevitably get scratched up.

Comment

You could use heavy guage sheetmetal then rhino line it , it looks good is durable and if you scratch it you can touch it up .
          If you brought it to a place that applys it I think they will even tint it different colors .D

Comment

Working...
          X