Sizing an I-beam for overhead hoist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing an I-beam for overhead hoist

This comes up from time to time and usually never gets answered. Here is a chart I found while searching the web because I need to set up a hoist for a customer. Whether this is a good chart I don't know as I am not an engineer so use it as you will. It should at least give you an idea though.

http://www.harringtonhoists.com/tech...67%20rev02.pdf

The hoist I am doing needs to lift 1000# and the span is 19'. The uprights/legs will be stationary mounted to the floor and one side of the i-beam at the top of the leg will also be mounted to the building. According to the chart a S8 x 18.4 beam should work. I am assuming the chart has a safety factor built in. I will research this some more.
    Last edited by MMW; 05-10-2017, 03:55 PM.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Thanks for this, MMW. I have built a couple of small capacity cranes for home use, and I always had problems trying to find the beam info I was seeking. This chart has it all right there. Good stuff!

Comment

Sure could've used that chart when I built mine. Heaviest thing I picked was 1400#....did just fine, so I guess I guessed ok.

Comment

Bigger web and more lbs per ft is always better when hanging a steel I beam for lifting..........as long as you have the ability to lift the beam into place. An 8" I beam can be had from 18 - 67 lbs per ft and a 10" from 12 - 112 lbs per ft............1000 lbs capacity really isn't that much......... Personally If you can lift it I would look at the 10" beam @ 25 lpf........about 500 lbs vs the 8" beam at 368 lbs.......and double the capacity.

Comment

Mine spans 24', sits on two columns with knee bracing. I installed it in three pieces and welded it in place. Not much choice when you're working by yourself. It was pretty heavy carrying that up a ladder in 8' sections by myself and setting it in place for welding. A friend of mine said I can't weld it together like that. I said why not? We weld battleships, massive bridges and space shuttles, ought to be able to weld a few pieces of ibeam together in my little old shop?

Comment

Thanks MMW I am wanting to put up one to do a 360 degree was wondering about the I beams, that is not put to rest

Ryan, how about a pic of those legs, I was going to put a piece of 5 1/2" casing in the ground and weld it to the roof of the shop, its an open area 30'X80' with not supports, if we get a super high wind or a Hurricane might lift it like a kite, that would be another anchor to help hold it down. Joe

Comment

Eek....I'm the worst about taking pictures.

Why don't you just come over and see it for yourself? You don't even have to bring beer, I have plenty of that. I could use some advice on getting my old south bend up and running too.

Comment

Am I the only one who doesn't know how to open the photo? All I get is the thumbnail.

What are we doing differently? When I do a photo, I either [img] tag something from the internet or I attach one from my computer. But they always go full size. This is not just Tarry; it seems common here, but I don't know why.

Comment

No it is not just you. A lot of photos people post are only about 3/4" X 3/4" when I open them. This is the worst site that I frequent for posting pics. Hopefully someday they can fix it. It seems it all started with the last "upgrade". I'm still a fan though and thank you to Miller for providing what we have.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

Comment

Ryan, might do that someday, don't cross the river much unless it to get a lathe close to where you live, I am being bad, I sure like that Cincinnati Tray Top Lathe, what model is that South Bend, you got a lot to do to get it back together, going to get a big South Bend soon as the people are ready for me to get it, when I get ready to go it rains and rains don't want to rut there yard I can fix mine, it has a tapper attachment, tool post grinder and several other things, its in pieces, but that would be great so I can clean, paint or replace bushings, my wife said no more lathes please, man's last words, yes dear ?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                      Am I the only one who doesn't know how to open the photo? All I get is the thumbnail.

What are we doing differently? When I do a photo, I either [img] tag something from the internet or I attach one from my computer. But they always go full size. This is not just Tarry; it seems common here, but I don't know why.
                      I thought I was doing something wrong... I posted 5 pictures in the "Project " section and they all came out as thumbnails... I was really disappointed

Comment

Working...
                      X