Material for Livestock scale

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material for Livestock scale

Wanting to build a frame 80" X 30" for weighing cattle up to 2500. C channel would do the trick, but would like to make it light enough that 2 people could maneuver. Thinking about using square tubing but what size and gauge? Appreciate the help.

I would use 3" channel 4.1# a foot stuff. Tube prob would rot out over time. That's just my thinking...
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I actually made a couple of those for a guy a few months ago. Not sure if we're talking about the same thing...I'm not a cattle guy, but it was a device the cattle would go into after leaving a pen to get weighed for whatever you cattle guys weigh them for. Had a door on either side and a spot in the middle for the "cage" thing to sit on the scale. If I remember correctly, I used 1/8" square tubing and cattle fence and expanded metal (9 ga I think). Might have had some flat bar in there and some fairly heavy duty hinges for sure. I don't take pictures of my stuff, so I can't share. But if you have a picture of whatever it is you're looking for, I can advise further.

Comment

ryanjones what you made is much more elaborate than what I am intending. Take the cage and gates away until all you have left is the floor. Think "bathroom scales" for bovines! The point is a rectangular frame with four points which touch the ground.

Comment

Yup, that's pretty much what it. I guess to make something two people can move is a relative consideration. How often are you going to have to move it?

Comment

Clarification: 2 old, out-of-shape people. Right now we are using a scale made from 5" channel 6.7# for the frame. We both tweaked our backs. Only move is about half a dozen times.

Comment

Ah. Better make it out of titanium then.

Comment

Make a open end trailer with a fold down tongue and a ramp on each end.

Comment

That's probably a better idea than to use titanium.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                    That's probably a better idea than to use titanium.
                    I like the idea of using titanium.

Its unique.
                    if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Working...
                    X