Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• syncrowave 200

Look what followed me home....s/n LG010169L

I haven't bought it yet, but it's available to me for a good price. I just don't know anything about it.

What say you guys about the track record of this model?

I tried posting a picture from my phone but, once again, I am thwarted by an unknown error on the forum app.

Comment

If you are considering it to keep, based on what you already own.......pass.
      To re-sell, then maybe, depending on price.
      You need other tools more

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

An excellent point amigo. It does take up a good amount of space for such a small machine. It's not on a running gear at the moment so it's hard to move around. And I have a great need to get my lathe up and chooching and I could use a small mill. That is probably time and money much better spent. I'm about to need to hire a shop hand.

I took the skins off and cleaned it out. I think every mud dobber in the county had a nest in there. One concerns me...a big mud house built right on the back side of the main circuit board. I'm resisting the urge to scrub the mess off with a nylon brush, but it needs to come off. What's the best way to clean the back side of that board? I'd like to get that off before I plug it in.

You can tell this machine has been sitting up for a while. Some of the internals have a white-ish powder on them, which I presume to be mild surface corrosion from condensation in our humid air mostly. Plus the cob webs on the cooling fan and nice layer of dust on the outside.

I accidentally posted this thread under projects for some reason. Oops.

Comment

I got this machine up and running. Replaced one part and built a running gear. Has a nice arc but uses way too much power for only a 200 amp machine. It would be a good candidate for argon/helium mix for tig. Anyone looking for a machine would do right by getting one if the price is right, but for me, it's nothing more than a really big spare tire. Space is a premium in my shop and I need the adjustability of an inverter welder. According to the label inside the machine, she was built January 9, 2006 and looks nearly brand new. I haven't ran the arc strikes or weld time.

Comment

IF it is a Miller it is a good welding machine if it is not damaged.
            That machine is a light industrial model and can do almost anything with metal.
            It does not require a helium/argon mix. Just argon for most metals.
            Helium is used when welding very thick sections or plates of aluminum.

This machine does not use much power but it does use just a little more than an inverter type machine.
            I bought one of these machine new and added a Miller water cooler with water cooled torch. a very fine machine!
            There is a post on the Welding Web forums that I posted about adding a Miller water cooler to this machine.
            My post will save you a lot of time and trouble. Its free.

Comment

I won't be adding a water cooler to this machine. I doubt I'll even keep this machine. Nothing wrong with it, just awfully big for only 200 amps.

As a comparison, I welded two complete aluminum jobs, identical in nature. The first I used this syncrowave. Granted, I was full pedal most of the way, but it overheated the 60 amp circuit breaker it was on....twice. The next day I did the same job with my inverter machine. Non-stop, start to finish....the breaker was hardly any warmer than the rest around it. Same circuit and all. So I'd say it uses a considerable amount more power to accomplish the same task. And for my little shop, that was a lot of aluminum welding. Went through about 1500 lbs of argon doing it.

Comment

The difference between using an inverter and a transformer welder is very apparent!!
                I quit using transformer based machines many years ago now. Not because of the electricity used, but because they simply don't weld as nice.
                The arc is much more focused and adjustable on an inverter. That is the main reason everyone is changing over.
                Kinda like fuel injection vs carbs

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Inverter machines are nice, no getting around it. That said. I have seen some marvelous welding done many years ago at Rocketdyne on Transformer machines with helium and straight DC back when they called it Heliarc. (stacks of pennies, nickels and dimes all fhe way) If you are a good welder, an inverter machine will help you to weld better. If you need training and practice, there won't be a great deal of difference.

My Syncrowave 200 is operated in my shop on a 70 amp breaker. It's rated to require 52 amps. I've often used it at 200 amps and never opened a breaker. Sure, it's big, but after ten years it's still going strong and even if I buy a Dynasty, which could happen, the Syncrowave stays if only for its reliability as a backup.

My other great machine is a Millermatic 252. It's amazing. Guess I'm going blue all the way!
                  Miller Syncrowave 200
                  Milermatic 252
                  Lincoln AC/DC "Tombstone"

Comment

Reliability of your equipment is a great asset.

Comment

Working...
                    X