Suggestion on a rack for my steel/materials

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion on a rack for my steel/materials

So currently i have a ton of tubing, rods, flat bar, angle and so on.. just a mix of all types of material and all different lengths..
    BUT they are all over my garage where ever i can find the space.. some on the floor, some laying on top of other things and some standing if short enough to fit from floor to ceiling.. My question is ideas for a cart/rack that i can make to help clean up / organize my assortment..

I dont have my room now, but i think if i move things around and make something to hold the material i can make it work..

Does anyone have any setups that are 2 parts? What i mean is build 2 racks identical, that i can place together against the wall at different distances to hold the longer 14ft/ longer material up off the floor and as need i can simple roll one end closer as the material is cut and no longer that long? Is that worth considering?

Im just tired of walking over, walking on material on the floor because of the space limitations.. If i ever finish building my shed, maybe i can store some of the smaller material out there since its not like im using it daily for things..

Just looking for suggestions or ideas that others may have already done with limited space.

thank you

Before I built my loft, I used two shelves on the wall, but I angled them up at about 45 degrees. Each was about 16-ish inches deep and three wall studs long and had about three wall studs between the two two shelves. You can store longer pieces by laying them across both shelves and toss the smaller ones on the single shelves. It worked for me for several years. It does get jumbled up, but you'll just have to reorganize it once in a while.

Comment

I appreciate the idea, did you fab up the shelves on the wall to support the weight of materials?
      I have alot of 1/4" thick material and doubt hanging on the wall will last..
      I was thinking similar to your idea, but portable, thin/low profile that can be pushed up against the wall in the same fashion as you describe

Comment

My shelves were made of wood and were lag bolted through the sides of the studs. I never had any problem with them sagging. I imagine there is a limit to what it would've held, but I didn't find it.

Comment

Thanks, ill have to see what space i have and how i can make something that will work for me when the weather improves.. so many projects around the house, need to plan accordingly and the garage would be a weekend project in itself..

Comment

This might be over kill for your needs. Uprights are 2" x 3" and shelf tubes are 1 1/2 sq. but the same concept can be used with smaller tube. The rack is 9' from end to end. from the right the next upright is at 2' the next is at 6'. That give me a spot for short or long pieces. I generally cut my 20's in half to rack um. The rack is 8' tall shelf spacing is 9".

Comment

Now if I just had a free wall to do something like that...

Comment

Know what you mean, my shop is 50' x 50' with 2-12' wide roll ups and two man doors. That leaves me around 160' of wall space, Ha Ha Ha, after 40' of material racks 2 drill presses, belt sander, storage shelves, vertical mill an ironworker, and 4 welding stations ( only one next to wall) I think I have 8" of free wall space between a roll up and man door. Oh wait there is a fire extinguisher there. Yep all my wall space is GONE. But the rack works real good the shelves are 22" deep and were cut at 3 deg. angle so round stock tends to roll towards the wall. Counting the base it has 11 shelves so I'm able to separate material by size and shape. This rack is just carbon steel have one 10' rack for stainless and a 20' rack for all the long stuff. Keep it all indoors, stays lots cleaner.

Comment

I'll take some pics of what I built in the next few days. Very simple & easily built to any size.
                  MM250
                  Trailblazer 250g
                  22a feeder
                  Lincoln ac/dc 225
                  Victor O/A
                  MM200 black face
                  Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                  Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                  Arco roto-phase model M
                  Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                  Miller spectrum 875
                  30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                  Syncrowave 250
                  RCCS-14

Comment

Here are some commercially made racks to give you some ideas.

good luck Click image for larger version

Name:	rack3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	579916 Click image for larger version

Name:	rack.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	579917 Click image for larger version

Name:	rack2.jpg
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	579918
                    Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Here is one of my racks. Size isn't important as I made it to fit in the space between my gantry crane & the wall. You can make it any size you wish. I used 1.5" x 1.5" x .1875 angle. The wall it is on is 15' long so I made the rack 66" long. Again depending on what you put in the rack it can be any length. I first made each upright with 7" square openings. I then realized I could make them smaller so the upper openings I split using .25" x 1.5" flat bar. I thought I would have to secure it to the wall but it is very sturdy once loaded. It's about 5' high but wish I would of gone higher. The uprights look like a ladder & I connected them with angle forming a X on the back side. The only drawback may be that it is end loading only but it works fine for me.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	downsized_0316071222.jpg
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	579933

Name:	downsized_0316071222a.jpg
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	579934

Name:	downsized_0316071222b.jpg
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	579935

Name:	downsized_0316071223.jpg
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	579936

Last edited by MMW; 03-16-2017, 11:57 AM.
                      MM250
                      Trailblazer 250g
                      22a feeder
                      Lincoln ac/dc 225
                      Victor O/A
                      MM200 black face
                      Arco roto-phase model M
                      Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                      Miller spectrum 875
                      30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                      Syncrowave 250
                      RCCS-14

Comment

One more shot. It sits in front of an interior wall so where the wall ends I then have 15" clear space to load/unload..

Name:	downsized_0316071223a.jpg
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	579939

Last edited by MMW; 03-16-2017, 12:02 PM.
                        MM250
                        Trailblazer 250g
                        22a feeder
                        Lincoln ac/dc 225
                        Victor O/A
                        MM200 black face
                        Arco roto-phase model M
                        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                        Miller spectrum 875
                        30a spoolgun w/wc-24