Hammer time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer time

A anvil from one of the first USA companies doing a forged anvil. Easy to move now

What make is it ?

Comment

New to the anvil seen. The anvil is a Columbian. I have a few students that are into the anvil and blacksmithing stuff. I believe Columbian was one of the first USA companies to do the forged anvil state side. Man up here they command a large sum. Ill shoot a pic of the anvil markings maybe you can give me some more on it.

Comment

I have 5 Anvils. My favorite and the one I use most was my Great Grandfathers, he was a blacksmith in late 1800's. I have some of his journals, he got .10 cents a foot to shoe a horse. <br />
        That one is a English peter wright from 1800's <br />
        I also have a very old Fisher possible 1800's but haven't verified that. They were one of 1st American made and were known as a city anvil due to there very low or no ring. <br />
        Still love to work on one. Just hard to pay all the bills on one. <br />
        Greg

Comment

I need a nice big anvil. But the cost of the old ones running around is out of control high. May have to buy a new one.

Comment

Found a 300 lb. for a steal about 8 years ago. Amish had it must have needed money. Use it for the bigger stuff. Not super old but in good shape.

Comment

Seems like it's hard to find stuff like that around here. The Midwest and the Northeast ade full of awesome stuff for the pickin though....well, at least that's were most of the awesome hardware stuff seems to be listed for sale. <br />
              <br />
              I'm surprised the Amish let something like that go.

Comment

Nice, real nice, I found one the other day and the fellow want one hundred for it, 1903 in the casting, smart me I thought it was to much then found one in Eunice, La. at a flea market and he wanted three hundred, don't want one that bad, Ryan maybe the scrap drive in WW11 got them all down here, still looking won't pass up a one hundred dollar deal again.

Comment

Ya, you missed that one Joe, can't win them all. Flea markets seem to be a good place to locate them, but they usually want a premium for them too.

Comment

Working...
                  X