Ford Ranger Welding Truck

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Ranger Welding Truck

I got a '97 Ranger 4X4 that needs a new bed. Even though I'm doing the bed from scratch, I'm not content with just the basic bed...I want to do a complete(or close to it) welding truck. I figured it would be great considering if I'd gotten work in downtown Boston and I need something that gets around with no problem. Any and all input would be great.

Here's what I'm working with...
    '97 Ranger
    3.0L V6
    5-Speed with 4WD...

One thing you need to consider is the GVW. Think of the equipment you would like on the truck and it's total weight, add that to the projected weight of the new bed plus the weight of the truck. Rangers do not have a lot of capacity. You may be better off with a tow behind rig. We have several Tundras we use for service trucks. We bought them with standard beds then put utility beds on them, loaded with standard tools and supplies they are at weight. So when we load them up with anything extra for a job they are overweight. Now we buy f-350's and 450's instead.

Comment

I'm with Oldgrandad. GVWR is the crucial factor. My buddy had a 94 Ranger with a 4.0 engine with a small utility bed for hauling all his plumbing supplies and tools. We didn't think we had all that much weight on it, but it rode low and slow. I think his GVWR was 5000lbs. and we ended up exceeding that. He sold it and bought an F-250. I have an '08 ranger that I've had 800lbs. of materials in. Once in awhile,it's okay, but I wouldn't do it on a daily basis. If I do, or need to haul more weight, out comes the trailer.

Comment

You're probably going to end up pulling a trailer as well. I had several Rangers, never made them into a rig welder though. Probably a good reason why we don't see it either.

Comment

I've been there. Of course you want a bigger truck. But you are going to have to use what you have. Standard beds may not be ideal for access to equipment, and they get beat to ****, but they are a lot lighter than most utility beds. Until you can afford to get the right truck, maybe just use the cheapest bed you can put on the Ranger and look forward to the new truck without investing much into the current one.

After that, we can't help much without knowing what equipment you are wanting to haul around to do what kind of welding jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by indianaiceman View Post
            I got a '97 Ranger 4X4 that needs a new bed. Even though I'm doing the bed from scratch, I'm not content with just the basic bed...I want to do a complete(or close to it) welding truck. I figured it would be great considering if I'd gotten work in downtown Boston and I need something that gets around with no problem. Any and all input would be great.

Here's what I'm working with...
            '97 Ranger
            3.0L V6
            5-Speed with 4WD...
            I had a '93 Ranger STX, 4.0, auto, 4x4, I worked out of, for a couple of years. I used a Miller Bobcat with a freek box and had a 300 argon bottle (plus everything else under the sun). It was a long bed regular cab. I was doing mobile marine repair. (aluminum)
            I was tight. But it would go anywhere with the 31x10.50's on it with 3.73 gears and posi. Better IMO than the F-150 I bought to upgrade. Crappy mileage though. Same as the 5.0 F150 basically.
            I kept the stock bed (light)
            Considering the good advice here you have got and knowing that mine was more heavy duty than yours (STX pkg, rear springs, bigger motor, brakes etc.)
            I would say you better keep it very light on the bed side and you won't haul much equipment if you have much of a welding machine, without smashing the rear springs.
            I Loved that Ranger. Should have kept it. It was pretty badass in the woods.
            I now drive a 2016 F-350 diesel dually 4x4 single cab long bed basically empty. Go figure.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Quite the upgrade, FusionKing. <br />
              <br />
              I loved every single ranger I ever owned. Heaviest thing I hauled was a tandem axle enclosed uhaul when I moved from the Seattle area to Timbuktu Louisiana. That trailer was packed so full the night before I left that I woke up to two flat tires on it the next morning. Had to get turned around one time during that trip and had to put it in fwd to get it jacked around without spinning the rear tires on the asphalt. That was a heavy load for that little truck. She handled it like a champ. Slow goin though.

Comment

Working...
              X