Swivel wheel trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swivel wheel trailer

I'm hoping you guys can help me with this.
    I have an RV that I plan on building and installing a 7' wide by 6' long platform made from aluminum c channel, connected with a couple of bolts to the frame of the RV. the weight that will be on that part will be about 800 pounds. This is for my motorcycle.
    I will then make another platform and install a swivel wheel to the bottom and connect the 2 pieces with a hinge.
    The hinge I'm thinking of making out of 1" aluminum tubing with a 1" steel rod. The tubing would be cut into 1' pieces.
    The 2 supports to the RV would be about 34" wide and go the whole length of the first platform. I would like to bolt the supports to the frame with 2 1/2" bolts.
    The questions I have is what thickness aluminum? Should I make the supports also out of c channel? Will 2 bolts on each support hold this? Will the hinge idea work?
    The reason for the hinge is when I stop and take the motorcycle off I want to lift the rear up so it takes less room in the spot
    Thanks,
    Stefan

Aluminum huh? Id say use as skookum of aluminum as you can weld. And if you only have a diversion 140 or something in that size, probably should consider steel. <br />
    <br />
    I think I have a basic idea of what you're asking to build, but how about a link or pictures of examples?

Comment

Here is a link to a swivel wheel trailer. http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html
      However this is not exactly what I'm building. I'm making mine in 2 pieces so I can lift the back up when not using it, so I can fit into the campground spot.
      Here is the wheel I'm thinking of using http://www.axlesandmorebyjoellc.com/

Comment

I don't weld but I work at a trade school that teaches welding and we have all the equipment. I believe they can weld up to 3/4" thick aluminum.

Comment

What happens when you go from a fairly flat surface to a sudden steep grade?

Comment

That trailing wheel scares me. Steep driveway or sudden incline I don't know. I would go with http://www.mightyhauler.com/ something more like what these guys have. I've seen others that use two hitch mounts about 4' apart with a lift system that gets the bike about 2' or 3' off the ground while traveling.
            Last edited by Oldgrandad; 11-09-2016, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bls repair View Post
              What happens when you go from a fairly flat surface to a sudden steep grade?
              The part with the wheel is hinged. If I hit an upgrade such as a driveway the back portion will just lift up

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
                That trailing wheel scares me. Steep driveway or sudden incline I don't know. I would go with http://www.mightyhauler.com/ something more like what these guys have. I've seen others that use two hitch mounts about 4' apart with a lift system that gets the bike about 2' or 3' off the ground while traveling.
                I'm not prepared to hold 1,500 pounds on a 10,000 pound hitch.

Comment

Won't the bike hit trailer if it lifts up?

Comment

I'm an RV guy myself, and I've seen these sorts of doofloppies before. I believe they have have a hinge on the tongue so it moves like a hay wagon without the front axle, if I remember correctly. <br />
                    <br />
                    Is there any reason you must make this out of aluminum and not steel? I'm not against aluminum trailers or anything, but just curious.

Comment

I'm thinking that aluminum will be lighter and will not rust.
                      I'm trying to figure out the thickness and size of the "C" channel

Comment

Originally posted by Bls repair View Post
                        Won't the bike hit trailer if it lifts up?
                        No. the two front wheels will pivot when the rear portion raises. It would have to be a very big dip for that to happen.

Comment

I honestly think the weight will be negligible on this. It may not rust, but you can paint the steel and repair it much easier too. I'm all about making stuff out of aluminum though, to be honest. As far as how thick of channel? No clue. I'm an over-engineerer, so I'd probably use 1/4" or thicker for the frame. Hopefully someone will have a better recommendation that me though.

Comment

The single wheel style like the Sears, Roebuck & Company (Allstate) "Tag-a-long" were very popular in the 1950's

this link may give you some ideas

http://singlewheel.com/Auto/AllstateFR.htm

other brands & general info

http://singlewheel.com/

Last edited by H80N; 11-11-2016, 08:07 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

If anybody can help me structurally design this I would be greatful

Comment

Working...
                              X