Aluminum rim fixed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum rim fixed

Came in to work yesterday and there is a 22" rim on my welding table. Ask around and I'm told it belongs to one of our drivers. He wants to know if it can be fixed. So what the heck, drill a 1/8 hole at the end of the crack. Use a 3" cutoff wheel and remove the crack. Put a tack to hold it in place then weld the inside of the rim first. turn it over then weld the outside. When welding the outside made sure to melt down to the weld from the other side to ensure no voids between welds. Then with 2" 60 grit sanding disc sand the weld inside the rim down then polish it with course then medium scotch brite wheels. Done. Took about 30 minutes total. Now the tire holds air again.

Used 4043 rod 3/32 dia. 3/32 purple tungsten gas flow about 20

Comment

Nice. I never tigged one, yet...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Thank you, I don't have a spool gun, so TIG is my only option. It welded really smoothly. How's the new job going?

Comment

Job is going great. I am supposed to TIG some aluminum for them one of these days...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

May not be relevant but i race with aluminum rims and we toss any cracked rims. I have seen first hand a rim brake loss from the hub balled up a high dollar ride. Some company that specializes in fixing rims did the work on his custom rim.

Comment

Out at the edge I'm not to concerned. Didn't hang out long at all, the HAZ was very small and it's a street car, no real racing. I have a neighbor that has a wheel shop, he's done countless aluminum rims both for track and street with no issues, but he has turned some repairs down due to needed to much welding and or straightening.

Comment

Working...
              X