Drinking water for Astronauts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drinking water for Astronauts

We got a small project from SpaceX. They need NASA approved pure water for their Dragon Capsule Program. The unit we made will produce the drinking water that goes into space to quench the astronauts thirst. The frame for the purification unit is made of 6061 aluminum strut. I used 3/32 4043 welding rod, E-3 tungsten 3/32 dia. with the amps at 150. The 3rd photo is a stainless frame for another job just to give an idea of what goes on the frame. That would be some pre filters a UV sterilizer and some post filters and the electronics to control it all.

Nice job.

Comment

Thanks, I know this is a very simple little frame but it is just way cool working on things that have a part in going to space so I wanted to share.

Comment

Looks really nice.

What's your welder settings? What welder?
        if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Hate to admit it but this machine is red a 275 precision TIG set at 200 amps, balance is set to auto. Using the pedal around 75% throttle. When using the syncro 250, amps would be the same but I would set the arc balance around 7 to get the same results.

Comment

Haha, no worries.

So you set your AC balance to 7? As in 93 % cleaning and 7% penetration?

Comment

No, as in 70% penetration and 30% cleaning. The aluminum channel is 1/8 thick.

Comment

Precision tig is a nice machine. Mine's a 225 and it does a nice job. No fancy schmancy settings and all that foofah, but looks like you managed to run some fine beads, fancy schmancy foofah notwithstanding.

Comment

Got ya, I will give it a shot, whats your flow rate? Argon, helium?

Comment

Argon, about 22 CFH. I'm using a #6 cup with a gas lens. Normally weld stainless that's why I've got a gas lens on the torch. And yes Ryan this machine weds real nice. Salesman talked me into the fancy pulse panel said it would make welding thin material easier. HE LIED. Unless your running an automatic welding process that panel is a waste of money.

Comment

Working...
                    X