Spindle repair.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle repair.

Our lift at work had a bad spindle and the boss said take some measurements and have one made. So I did, and I made it and rebushed the hub. The shop fitter cut the old one off and welded mine on. All better now...Bob
    Drilling the cotter pin hole with my cross slide hole driller and my lathe. The drill press had a fixture in it I wasn't done with. Hub pic with new bronze bushing. The spindle as it was.
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Bob,
    I have never seen the drill attachment with bearings for the cross slide of the lathe.
    ••Was this a standard attachment or did you make it?

Attached is a picture of drilling a hole with a standard QD tool holder which accommodates Morse taper tools.
    I use this in place of the tail stock drill Chuck, when I am drilling a hole in a small shaft and I want it centered perfectly.

••What caused the shaft for the lift to get damaged?

Don
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Don52; 06-19-2016, 07:49 AM.
    Miller Thunderbolt
    Smith Oxyacetylene Torch
    Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Lincoln SP-250 MIG Welder
    Clausing/Coldchester 15" Lathe
    16" DuAll Saw
    15" Drill Press
    7" x 9" Swivel Head Horizontal Band Saw
    20 Ton Arbor Press
    Bridgeport
    Miller Spectrum 375 Plasma Torch

Comment

Don. I invented the cross slide hole driller to make furnace nozzles for a place I used to work. They had holes that were angled and had to be at all different degrees. I use a protractor dial on the spindle end to do the degrees. I am going to start selling them at least in my mind.

The lift shaft was just from years of no grease and metal on metal. A local "professional" said that spindle would last another 100 years. I saw it drive by and said that's not right seeing the wheel leaning 10 degrees out at the top. So I took it off and found all the damage. It prob was purchased damaged and the professional was a real salesman and didn't have a clue. I am doing the other side now but it wasn't as bad. I did rework my shaft drilling it from the back and adding some grease holes and a fitting...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Working...
      X