Scoring Points With Wifey

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoring Points With Wifey

My wife requested a hair tool caddy. A very easy project but, she's happy. Some bar, DOM, rec. tube and hammered finish paint later.
    Last edited by Ironken; 01-14-2016, 07:43 AM.

Nice project, if Mom is Happy all is Happy, better hope she don't see that word stupid, she might be beating you over the head with that project, man if that is all it takes to please them every now and then go for it, then they don't mind you buying more tools,
    Last edited by Tinker Joe 2; 01-16-2016, 08:24 AM.

Comment

You make a good point Joe, I changed "stupid easy" to "very easy". Going back and reading my post, stupid didn't come out like I meant for it to. And yes, if my wife thought I was referring to her stuff as stupid, I would be diggin' that cute little project outta my rear end.

I have my eye on a swivel head bandsaw.....well, you understand what I'm tryin' to pull off here.

Comment

brother, if that job gets you a swivel head band saw, you should try gold plating that doofloppy holder and see what'll get ya!

Comment

Ryan, to heck with the bandsaw! I wanna know what it takes for her to hold my doofloppy.

Comment

Needle nose pliers?

Comment

Oooh.....d$ck move! Well played my friend.

Comment

Gosh your guys are cruel, love it, my wife dish washer tray was hanging to one side the top one well those little plastic rollers where they connect to the tray broke, I took it into the shop, made some new ones on the lathe and sanded the broke surfaces where the clips that held the originally rollers drill some holes and mounted the homemade one, I was a hero for the day, this was at Christmas with a load of dishes, that makes the woman want to get you more tools, I mean toys. one photo shows what it looked like before there was only one with the plastic clips holding and the other show the bushings made with the screws that I put from the back side could not the last photo to load to show them installed ?

Comment

Its awesome when you can justify your equipment and save the day all in one shot! Good lookin' parts there, Joe. You have convinced me without knowing that I need a small lathe. Convieniently, I live about 3 hours away from Grizzly Tool.....hmmmmmm......

Comment

A lathe and mill are on my list. I could've used a mill today to make some bolt plates for my I-beam project.

Comment

OK, OK Ryan! You talked me into it. A small mill will be added to my list as well. What's this I beam project you speak of? Pics.

Comment

I need to be better at taking pictures of my projects. The short version is...I had a ceiling joist bust, another one with old termite damage and the rest have started to sag, mostly because I started to use it as a storage loft.

My super secret evil plan is to replace the first three joists. I have joists and a storage loft at each end of my shop and it's open to the rafters in the middle. Basically 1/3 open. Coming out on the broken end with a single joist, followed by a double joist and the last with a steal I-beam, to which I can attach a trolley and chain fall.

Of course, I use (almost exclusively) salvage iron from the scrap yard. Plus I'm spanning 24'-ish feet AND I'm working by myself. So my plan, that is currently under way and set back today because I laid it out wrong and drilled 6 holes in the wrong spot, is to install a 4x4 steel column on each end with a knee brace, then install the I-Beam in three sections. Each end then weld in the middle piece. Each section of beam will be around 8'. I think it's doable without crushing an important appendage. If not, I'll be on the forum a lot more because I'll be laid up with a cast on something.

Wish me luck.

Comment

God speed, my friend. I am always in favor of replacing that horrible tree material with quality steel. Your plan sounds solid. I can p.m. you a small file. It is just a couple pages naming what equipment you want to bequeath to me in the case the unspeakable happens during your shop mods. Pics dammit! We demand pics!

Comment

Nice project, always good to keep the missus happy!

Comment

My wife is always asking me to make or fix SOMETHING. My reply is usually "Well, yes, but I'm gonna need a to buy an "XXX tool." or some kind of machine. She usually asks how much for the tool and how much to replace/buy the item in question......It is usually a wash or a BIG savings to do it myself with a newly purchased tool and THAT FACT has allowed me to do all these things: (1) add to my collection of tools (2) in the long run save a lot of money and (3) Make/bank some points with the Wifey. As an example, she wanted to put down tile in the kitchen and breakfast area, but I needed to buy a decent wet saw to do the job. Overall cost to do it (including the saw) about 1200-1400 bucks. My neighbors, at about the same time, had a "pro" do the same job for them---cost 5000 bucks AND he didn't do a good job as about a month later you could see LOTS of cracks all around the backer board (which he obviously skimped on either technique or materials when he put it down). End result was that they paid several times what we did, ours is still crack-free and looks perfect (7 years later!!) and I got not only a saw, but a few other tools to add to my collection. AND she still gives me points again every time she looks at "her" tile!!
                              Don J
                              Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Comment

Working...
                              X