X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice shop berry.

Comment

As to big-shop envy:

This is a class B (20 cu. in.) British Anzani outboard racing engine as very highly modified (horsepower tripled) by my friend Jim Hallum . Burned methanol and 40% nitro, made about 65hp at about 9200 rpm, IIRC. In 1971 it set a kilometer straightaway record for the class of just over 100mph, which astounded everyone because even engines of twice the displacement had not broken 100.

http://outboardracing.com/images/Image1707.JPG

Jim built this engine (note four carburetors in place of the single original) on a workbench in one end of a two-car garage . . . that was also occupied by the cars. He had a funny-looking little old "Civil War" milling machine, a tiny lathe, a homemade press, and an O/A torch set. But he had a whole lot of info in his head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry View Post
        Did Miller pay someone to design this system? If so,, get your money back, even SFT has a better rig up.
        Whatever you do, don't call it an MF er!

That is an awesome shop. You have that Deere lookin sharp. I have a 1948 A that is in need of rehab. Just sayin'.....hint hint
        Last edited by Ironken; 01-18-2016, 11:49 AM.

Comment

That engine is a mean looking mammer jammer OJ....daddy like...

Comment

Haviing a great shop is one thing. But do the projects that come out of your shops hold up like this?? (I thought it would never die, couldn't stop laughing):
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8
            Last edited by old jupiter; 01-20-2016, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Well, that's one way to get it part...

I know a few people I'd like to toss into that spin cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
                Haviing a great shop is one thing. But do the projects that come out of your shops hold up like this?? (I thought it would never die, couldn't stop laughing):
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq6T5BojXc8

I never would have guessed it would have thouroughly destroyed itself like that. There's something completely satisfying about destroying s'$t!

Comment

The one in the hoist bay will get a repaint if I have the energy. I did it about 20 yrs ago and used JD paint. Its quite faded, will get Imron this time. I am not a great mechanic so I need to make up for it in other ways. My interest and expertise is really in production or maintenance and making it as easy as possible and removing as many roadblocks as I can is what I really do.
                  Last edited by Sberry; 01-21-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I can't seem to get your photos to blow up to where I can see much detail, but I sure do like your roll-up paint booth, Sberry! I take it you have some sort of big, low-speed fan to draw some of the paint fumes outside? If so, do you some way filter the shop air that's drawn into the painting area? If you are shooting Imron, I suspect you take a lot of pains to do things right, and safely. A dust-free, bug-free, still-air, dry, low-humidity paint booth is wonderful when painting big panels (a car, a boat), but can't just be slapped together in an hour when you need it. Some sorts of paint jobs, like most of that tractor other than the few big panels, can get away with some dust specs and such, but that roll-up booth is the deal-sheneille for doing nice work. Alas, I don't have a good place to set one up, so where you send out most of your machine work, I have to send out the important paint jobs, . . . just as well, since I never got very skilled with a gun.
                    Last edited by old jupiter; 01-21-2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

The air coms in over the top at the end and makes for down draft. I was going to filter it but its not a problem. My set up is about 10 minutes and this is super sick as I can pallletize a lot of stuff and even turn some of it so I am up wind. Its really clean and I usually don't even bother to sweep the floor beyond normal.

Comment

I was trying to bring some content here but the thing never does the same thing twice. I am going
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	pallet parts.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	565480
                        to quit shortly, they had plenty of time to fix this pos. I have neighbors I can use machine shop but to tell the truth its pretty rare I need it. This type of system cvcan be used in a lot of places, its ideal if you can split the room in 2 as you can me heat in the other side. http://finishingacademy.com/training...od3_intro.html

Comment

That doesn't look like a rattle can paint job like I'd do. I hate painting. I as painting the columns for my overhead i-beam project, I was doing good to just wipe the oil and dirt off. Painting is the bane of my existence.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mack finished 2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	565485
                            As with most of this work I really don't enjoy it, its the results I am after and this type of thing is something I quickly get good at. I am really a better painter than a lot of painters, its same with welding. On a day to day basis I am an ok welder but when we get to critical production I can float to the top in a hurry if I want or need to.
                            If I had to do it again might race cars or snowmobiles, again it was never a passion enough to pursue it and when I was younger did other stuff that got in the way. I wouldn't have done it for the love of it but simply as something I was good at. I am a bit too bruised up and getting a bit too grey to enter something like that now. In reality I had always intended on doing some pipeline but things just seemed to come up, the production end would have suited me well but I actually get bored fairly easily once I catch on.
                            Last edited by Sberry; 01-21-2016, 07:10 PM.

Comment

If you mean you're going to quit this site, I hope not because you always have good input.

Comment

Old Jupiter, now that is nice looking engine, bet it will haul butt on the water, don't think I want to ride in that but would like to see the motor run, how about a video ?

Comment

Working...
                                X