A Little Family Shop Time

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Family Shop Time

Got my 9 year old girl and 4 year old boy in the shop today. I had to help my son squeeze the trigger. His chubby fingers are too short.

Good for you, they will never forget the time with you and the experience that most there age will never see, my Son grown and live away still tinkers, he is a Tig man now, there is hope for America, you have our future in your hands, train them in the way they should go.

Comment

Originally posted by Tinker Joe 2 View Post
      Good for you, they will never forget the time with you and the experience that most there age will never see, my Son grown and live away still tinkers, he is a Tig man now, there is hope for America, you have our future in your hands, train them in the way they should go.
      Thank you my friend. I will consider myself a successful father when my kids are better than me at the things that I have taught them.

Comment

Ironken, she don't look like a Daddy's girl, right, let me see if I have this right, should they be in there rooms on the cell phone or playing games on the screen, with Dad in the shop how terrible, if your not careful there are going to grow up and be thinkers, people who can reason and possible someone who could make the world a better place, man get all the scrap metal you can get them and let them design what comes to mind, take care of your gifts, Joe

Comment

You got that right brother! There are electronic devices in the house but, we try to keep them in check. And yes sir, that girl is a Daddy's girl and I love it. My girl doesn't have the interest my son does but, she is kinda artsy and wants to give the TIG a try tonite. I have some stainless scrap ready and the plasma on stand by. I agree, I do want my kids to be able to think. I would die if I raised a kid that wasn't able to change their own oil.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, good family time - be proud!

Comment

Ironken, have the kids welded you to the table and left you there, projects yet, take care, Joe

Comment

Man, I wish I had started learning to weld as a kid!! A LITTLE kid, like your daughter's age. I suspect that like many other skills, a kid who starts learning this before puberty has a real advantage, something about the malleability of the brain at that age.

Explain to your daughter that girls and women have an advantage over most men in learning to weld because they have steadier hands, as well as a better ability to concentrate on fine detail work. When she hears that a girl can be really good at this, it might increase her interest level. Explain further that when she starts getting good at it, she can start doing little jobs and making money . . . and that by the time she is a teen she can make good money, a whole lot better money than her pals who are fry-cooks at McDonalds.

And tell her we all think she's a real cutie!!

Comment

Old Juputer, well said, some of them you yours that I paid for there welding class 25 years ago ( I went also even though I could weld to make sure they went) still talk about great it was to learn and keep the trade even if it is for only one's use, Joe

Comment

That's awesome! My daughter wants to try TIG welding. I think we will start out at MIG welding also.

Comment

Melsdad, the best investment you will ever make, those Daddy girls grow up to be better Ladies

Comment

That is very cool. You are creating great memories

Comment

Tinker, Jupiter, melsdad, mklange and bipestuff.....sorry I have been MIA for awhile. We had a death in the family and cancer rear its ugly head over here. I'm back now!
                          Last edited by Ironken; 03-13-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Ironken, have the kids welded you to the table and left you there, projects yet, take care, Joe

Me and the boy have done some small projects. The girl likes to help with layout and measuring. For safety reasons, I try not to be alone with both of them at the same time for fear they might gang up on me and do just that.

Melsdad, the best investment you will ever make, those Daddy girls grow up to be better Ladies
                            I couldn't agree more brother!

Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
                            Man, I wish I had started learning to weld as a kid!! A LITTLE kid, like your daughter's age. I suspect that like many other skills, a kid who starts learning this before puberty has a real advantage, something about the malleability of the brain at that age.

Explain to your daughter that girls and women have an advantage over most men in learning to weld because they have steadier hands, as well as a better ability to concentrate on fine detail work. When she hears that a girl can be really good at this, it might increase her interest level. Explain further that when she starts getting good at it, she can start doing little jobs and making money . . . and that by the time she is a teen she can make good money, a whole lot better money than her pals who are fry-cooks at McDonalds.

And tell her we all think she's a real cutie!!
                            Thanks Jupiter! I tell my girl and my wife that women have the natural ability to be very good welders because of the way they are wired. After reading your post, I told her that if she puts in the time with me there may be a few bucks to be made here and there. I could see her little gears turning.....she is a miser like her mommy.
                            Last edited by Ironken; 03-13-2016, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X