No announcement yet.

vertical band saw 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, I'm in the small shop boat as well. I never refer to my tools as "toys" in the presence of a female. Although they are absolutely toys. My wife is pretty understanding of my primal need to build. Occasionally, she may balk a bit. I usually counter that I understand her not being used to a man's primal need build and have quality equipment to do so due to her ex having a vagina. Yes this a dangerous game I play, but accurate as I see it. As far as the "verbal ping-pong".....I think Ryan may be in the lead at this time. I enjoy this forum and the banter between some cool cats here.

Comment

Oh Ken, you are such a doll. You know how to win us over...

But you ain't gittin yer dirty meat hooks on my vertical bandsaw Joe made for me, so stop trying to butter me up.

Comment

Did you say vertical bandsaw? I wanted a horizontal bandsaw! Forget it......deals off. And I take back the nice things I said.

Comment

Fine. Be that way.

Comment

Boy you guys are going to have to get along, guess I will have to make another vertical band saw and get another Carolina 10" band saw, guess now would not be the time to bring up the subject of several reciprocating saws that I have, no guess this could cause family problems here,

Comment

I have absolutely no problem with getting all sorts of cool stuff from you and everyone else gets nothing. It works well for me. Good plan, I say we go with it.

Comment

Anybody using a power hacksaw? I salvaged a little old Dunlap (sold by Sears in the early Fifties) version from a scrapyard, cleaned, re-wired, painted it and got it running. But I have to replace some bushings to make it cut right. These power hacksaws are considered too slow to bother with nowdays, and I expect my little one will be more for amusement than making money, but I did use a big power hacksaw one time, and it made beautiful cuts in a reasonable amount of time while I did other things.

Here's one that's similar to mine:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGIaeHZ2M5M

This one's more fun:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O701fP2Wq0c
                Last edited by old jupiter; 01-18-2016, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Joe, its like having kids. It causes fighting if you give to one without the other. So basically all of this fighting is your fault. The only solution is to give me the Carolina and Ryan 2 porta bands. Yep.....that sounds fair.

Jupiter, my uncle has a similar power hack saw. It's a cool little choocher and as you said, cuts surprisingly straight. In metal shop at my high school we had an old power hacksaw. It was crazy worn out and was miserable to use. This instructor was the same sadistic sob that made us draw file HRS bar til the millscale was gone and it was shiny and square. He was a good dude.

Comment

IronKen, guess that would be the way to fix it, did get a call from a friend of mine yesterday said the bought a 10" Carolina and the motor does not work, he thinks it the end of the world, told him I probably would have a spare motor of it and he does not want to mess with it now, so he said come get it, this weekend it will have a new home, don't know what it looks like but for the price it's a deal, and it might help family matters here, but if we can't solve it Dad "Mr. Joe" will have two 10" course they will be in the Will if we don't solve it before,

Comment

I'll just come pick that stuff up and that will be the end of it. What time?

That hacksaw doofloppy is pretty cool. Although I think you could cut some bar stock faster by beating it with a rock.

Any reason why the hack saw doesn't use the entire blade in its cuts?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                        Any reason why the hack saw doesn't use the entire blade in its cuts?
                        So the blade mounts/holders don't hit the piece you are cutting when the piece is something wider. I have 3 power hack saws and still use them to some degree. They all could use some TLC to get them to cut straighter. Maybe one day I'll get to that. IIRC some power hack saws will adjust the stroke as the width of the victim changes. 2 of mine are gravity feeds and one has a power feed. Neat old tech but by today's standards its slow. But you don't have to stand there and watch it.---Meltedmetal

Comment

I bet it's a hellufalot faster than cutting it by hand!

Comment

Maybe you could set it for a few different stroke-lengths by having a few different points for mounting the push-pull rod to the bull-wheel. But this would have to still be able to lift the blade on the return stroke. Also, the whole vise for the work might have to be movable to set up for whatever stroke you used . . .

As to how slow these power hacksaws were/are, a sharp blade with the right tooth spacing, etc., makes a huge difference, as does getting the blade weighted just right. Like a lot of other obsolete tools, if used right they can do more and better work than you might guess.
                            Last edited by old jupiter; 01-21-2016, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
                              . Like a lot of other obsolete tools, if used right they can do more and better work than you might guess.
                              Hey, you talkin' bout me!
                              2 of my hack saws were converted from line shaft drives. One of them was purchased new by my father around 1936. Those 2 will only do straight cuts. The other is a Racine that will do angle cuts, has a hydraulic power feed and stops the saw at the end of the cut and raise the tool bar up.
                              The line shaft drives had a jaw clutch that trips open when the cut is finished.
                              If I had the money I think I would move most of my structural cuts to an iron worker and shear them. I'm just short a few $1000's.

Comment

Nice job on the saw, I had been thinking about doing that myself with a Potaband a friend gave me. I ended up buying a horizontal band saw on sale at Northern Tool. It has the option of using it vertical as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X