Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMAW Gas

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GMAW Gas

Hey fellow welders I have a Question ;
    I have been using C-25 For quite some time now and my welding supplier
    suggested that I use C-15.I tried it for a while,In the flat pos it worked very well, In the Horiz pos it did okay a little to much under cut on the last pass,
    Verti pos way to much under cut and it looks like after welding I pinched the weld together in the middle and it did not flow into the sides very well,
    Over head pos Stringers worked best that I found. AnywayI did all positions In about 30min I didn't have a lot of time to get to know this gas.
    My question is: did I give this gas a fair try? What gas are you using?
    And have you used this gas?

Gases

I normally use C-25 for GMAW short circuit welding. I also have a big bottle of Ar that I use for GTAW that I have mixed with the C-25 in a 60/40 proportion to produce what amounts to 90% Ar/10% CO2 at the GMAW gun. That is, if I need 35 cfh of this mix to do a particular spay arc job, I set the Ar at 21 cfh and the C-25 at 14 cfh. With this mix I have done spray arc transfer at higher voltages/amperages on 1/4" or greater stock in the flat or horiz. position. I have read guidelines published by Lincoln for spray arc that say an Ar/CO2 mix with 18% or less of CO2 will permit spray arc, but I have never tried spray arc with that much CO2, so I wouldn't know from experience. The Miller GMAW guide book says 8% to a max of 10% CO2 is preferred for spray arc.

The Miller book also says that a 92% Ar/8 % CO2 mix serves as a dual purpose mix usable for short circuit GMAW on thinner material and for spray arc GMAW on thicker materials.

Hope this helps a bit.

I

Comment

Working...
    X
    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.