Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

which brand filler metals?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which brand filler metals?

was woundering which brand do u guys like the best? I want to know because i want to stock some in my shop.mig and tig.for steel, sainless and alum. and self sheilded mig. just wanted 2 say thanks for all the input ive gathered from u guys.keep up the good work.

the brand rundown

MIG wires: Hobart (very economical and very consistent in quality). Go with HB28

TIG Wire: McKay for your stainless/AL, Avesta is darn good for Aluminum also

For the closed-arc wire you seek, I'd lean towards either Esab Core-Shield or Lincoln's Innershield lines.

happy hunting!

Comment

A lot of what will work best depends on the machine. Some will run any wire or filler and never look back, others gasp and choke. My old Bobcat, an 88-89 model, would NOT run a Hobart rod worth a crap...nor a Lincoln 6013. It was just what it did and there wasn't really any getting around it.

Myself, I try to stay with Hobart wires, but they are getting hard to find here. Lincoln wire is good, as is Radnor. While doing some testing recently, I discovered that the Hobart Weldit wire wasn't bad at all. I tested both steel and alu...both were surprisingly good for a cheap wire. The HB-28 is still better by far. Lincoln Innershield and Outershield are both good flux cores, but IMO, Hobart Fabshield 21B beats the Innershield any day.

Rods, I am currently using a mix of Lincoln and Hobart. The TB likes them both. Good thing it isn't as picky as the Bobus.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.